Question Asus Aura Sync and RGB coolers

Aug 1, 2019
I am about to get my new ASUS TUF x299 mark 2 which has AuraSync support. So I am looking to buy a new CPU cooler as well. However I am confused about how aurasync works. If I connect the RGB fan with AuraSync support via PSU molex adapter will I still be able to control the RGB from AuraSync or it has to be directly plugged into MoBo 12V 4pins ? Because there are only 3x 12V 4pins on the board and I will probably need more than that.

Could anyone explain it to me please ? I have not found anything related to this topic.

Thanks.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
The board needs the 3 pin compatible argb connector to control the lighting via Aura sync - (https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/stella-hp-argb-120-pwm/ according to stella website it's compatible with Asus aura sync, I'm taking that on faith).
Image from the Stella website: View: https://imgur.com/a/bMGsMS8

Your board doesn't seem to have that connector :(

I think the ASUS TUF x299 mark 2 just has (quoting the manual) 'AURA SYNC: AURA Lighting Control and AURA Lighting Effects synchronization with compatible ASUS ROG devices.' - e.g. mouse, keyboard, GPU that's an actual ASUS ROG device.

The 4 pin pwm connector runs the fan. Connect it to one of the pwm cpu fan headers on your mobo. (Don't use an aio or pump header, or the fan will run %100 all of the time.)

Don't mix the above two different headers.

To control the rgb through aura sync software you need to use the 3 pin header - it won't control the lighting if you connect that via a molex (and you might fry the leds doing that - please read the manual and follow it carefully.)

I don't think your board will actually let you control the RGB on that fan through Aura sync software - it doesn't have the correct headers for that.

Sorry, maybe ask Asus or others if I'm right on this but that's how it looks to me.

Aug 1, 2019
The board needs the 3 pin compatible argb connector to control the lighting via Aura sync - (https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/stella-hp-argb-120-pwm/ according to stella website it's compatible with Asus aura sync, I'm taking that on faith).
Image from the Stella website: View: https://imgur.com/a/bMGsMS8

Your board doesn't seem to have that connector :(

I think the ASUS TUF x299 mark 2 just has (quoting the manual) 'AURA SYNC: AURA Lighting Control and AURA Lighting Effects synchronization with compatible ASUS ROG devices.' - e.g. mouse, keyboard, GPU that's an actual ASUS ROG device.

The 4 pin pwm connector runs the fan. Connect it to one of the pwm cpu fan headers on your mobo. (Don't use an aio or pump header, or the fan will run %100 all of the time.)

Don't mix the above two different headers.

To control the rgb through aura sync software you need to use the 3 pin header - it won't control the lighting if you connect that via a molex (and you might fry the leds doing that - please read the manual and follow it carefully.)

I don't think your board will actually let you control the RGB on that fan through Aura sync software - it doesn't have the correct headers for that.

Sorry, maybe ask Asus or others if I'm right on this but that's how it looks to me.
So what are my chances to control the RGB on all those RGB components if any at all ?

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Well if it's not an actual ASUS ROG device that your board will control (sorry to be so vague) then it looks like you'll need to get a device with it's own RGB controller or a separate RGB controller for the device.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
So what are my chances to control the RGB on all those RGB components if any at all ?
Have you already bought your case?
Some cases come with RGB controllers for included RGB fans and you can (sometimes) connect other fans to those controllers - need to be a little careful, I suspect a lot of m/fs are trying to force customers to stick to their ecosystem for all of the RGB (so maybe that's the easiest way to go - pick one ecosystem and stick to it).

Aug 1, 2019
Have you already bought your case?
Some cases come with RGB controllers for included RGB fans and you can (sometimes) connect other fans to those controllers - need to be a little careful, I suspect a lot of m/fs are trying to force customers to stick to their ecosystem for all of the RGB (so maybe that's the easiest way to go - pick one ecosystem and stick to it).

Yes there is a controller for RGB included with the case but I do not want to open up my case every time I want to switch colors, isnt there any better solution ?

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Yes there is a controller for RGB included with the case but I do not want to open up my case every time I want to switch colors, isnt there any better solution ?

I wouldn't feel bad about these difficulties as compatibility with RGB devices is very detailed and a little unpredictable.

There may be software solutions out there I'm not aware of but you'll need to connect the RGB to an appropriate header on a controller and software that will access that controller.

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Perhaps if you post the full specs of your system that will help get some advice.

I'll be checking in every now and then over the next few days but just now I need to attend to something for a while.

Good luck and stay positive - there's a pretty good chance you'll end up with an RGB system you're happy with without spending a fortune on it, just take it slow and try to research as much as you can before buying so you know it's all going to work together the way you want.

Aug 1, 2019
Perhaps if you post the full specs of your system that will help get some advice.

I'll be checking in every now and then over the next few days but just now I need to attend to something for a while.

Good luck and stay positive - there's a pretty good chance you'll end up with an RGB system you're happy with without spending a fortune on it, just take it slow and try to research as much as you can before buying so you know it's all going to work together the way you want.
The board is ASUS TUF x299 mark 2
And the case is Cooler Master mastercase H500P

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Have you looked into the Cooler Master Controller that goes with those fans:
It connects to a usb header on your motherboard, so maybe you can control it from within windows?

I'm guessing if you want to use it with a cpu cooler you'll need to use Cooler master RGB fans if you want to use it to control the rgb on them ??

Edit: if you look at the Software Tutorial Video for the controller (at the above page) looks like you should be able to control RGB lighting connected to the controller from within windows.

Last edited: