Question ASUS B150 Pro Gaming - Doesn't Boot When 2nd Ram Installed

Jun 6, 2020
Hi,

I had a working system on MSI H110M Gaming motherboard, yesterday when switching case and PSU, pins of the motherboard damaged. I found an ASUS B150 Pro Gaming Aura from a friend and installed my PC on that.

After finishing the setup, I realized PC doesn't boot when my 2nd 8GB memory stick is installed, but it does when there is only one installed.
I tried different slot combinations, nothing worked. Tried enabling and disabled XMP, didn't work.

Even when only a single ram stick installed, it has to be placed on A2 slot, otherwise, PC doesn't boot.

What I mean by it doesn't boot is, I see solid DRAM LED on motherboard, nothing appears on the monitor, fans are working, no light on keyboard/mouse.

Motherboard: B150 PRO GAMING/AURA (latest BIOS installed)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB 3000MHz (DDR4 CMK8GX4M1D3000C16)

I am suspicious that this might be related to some damaged pins, but still I'm looking forward to hear if anyone has another idea that might hopefully be related to some BIOS settings. Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Just to be clear, you're on BIOS version 3805? Following that you're using slots A2 and B2 to populate the sticks of ram on your board? See if you can reflash the BIOS with the same BIOS .rom file(i.e v3805). You should also inspect the pins on the CPU socket to see if there are any bent or broken pins.

You forgot to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

in order for us to pick up on anomalies.

Reactions: hereitsme
Jun 6, 2020
Just to be clear, you're on BIOS version 3805? Following that you're using slots A2 and B2 to populate the sticks of ram on your board? See if you can reflash the BIOS with the same BIOS .rom file(i.e v3805). You should also inspect the pins on the CPU socket to see if there are any bent or broken pins.

You forgot to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

in order for us to pick up on anomalies.

Yes, version 3805 and yes I tried A2 and B2 slots.
Just to be sure about reflashing the BIOS, when I install the BIOS from ASUS' website, I get a .CAP file in a zip, not a .rom file.

Full specs list:
CPU: Intel i7 6700
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H45
Motherboard: ASUS B150 PRO GAMING/AURA
Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB 3000MHz (DDR4 CMK8GX4M1D3000C16)
SSD/HDD: HyperX Fury 3D 480GB SSD
GPU: RX590
PSU: Cooler Master 750W Gold MWE

But as I said, this PC was working before the motherboard change, the only intention was to change PSU and the case.

Yes, there are a few bent pins on the motherboard if that's the issue for sure, but PC is booting into Windows 10 without an issue when there is only a single RAM stick installed.