Question asus B250 mining expert power supply.

Jul 5, 2019
i just got a b250 mining expert motherboard and a 2000w power supply. now i was wondering if that would be enough to run one section of the motherboard or if i have to have all 3 power supplies plugged in at once? it seems i should beable to run part of the board with 1 power supply but i am not 100% sure about that. and i was wondering in total how many watt would i need or should i need in total for the whole board? any feed back on the subject would be much appreciated.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends what you're using it for, and what you want to power.
If you just wanted to use it as a "normal" board... for daily use, or gaming etc.... Then you should be able to do so off a single PSU.
The uppermost 24pin, the EPS and the primary PCIe (x16) slot should all run off the one PSU.

Powering the additional PCIe slots etc is where things get interesting...

However, with a mining board and a 2000W PSU .... I assume you're not using it for "normal" use. If you want to fully populate the board, you're going to want to fully populate the 24pins and molex..... and that should really be spread across multiple rails or PSUs.
As an aside, I didn't know there was such a thing these days, I only know of SuperFlower's 2000W unit from about 5 years ago.

i just got a b250 mining expert motherboard and a 2000w power supply. now i was wondering if that would be enough to run one section of the motherboard or if i have to have all 3 power supplies plugged in at once? it seems i should beable to run part of the board with 1 power supply but i am not 100% sure about that. and i was wondering in total how many watt would i need or should i need in total for the whole board? any feed back on the subject would be much appreciated.

Power goes where it needs to go. How much power the board needs depends on where you're putting it. If you're going to run 18x graphics cards off of it, you'll need three 24-pin power connectors, but you definitely don't need three "2000W" PSUs.

I'm also VERY skeptical of any PSU that's labeled "2000W". It's like those "2000W car amplifiers" you see in flea markets. What kind of PSU is it?

Jul 5, 2019
Depends what you're using it for, and what you want to power.
If you just wanted to use it as a "normal" board... for daily use, or gaming etc.... Then you should be able to do so off a single PSU.
The uppermost 24pin, the EPS and the primary PCIe (x16) slot should all run off the one PSU.

Powering the additional PCIe slots etc is where things get interesting...

However, with a mining board and a 2000W PSU .... I assume you're not using it for "normal" use. If you want to fully populate the board, you're going to want to fully populate the 24pins and molex..... and that should really be spread across multiple rails or PSUs.
As an aside, I didn't know there was such a thing these days, I only know of SuperFlower's 2000W unit from about 5 years ago.
ok sorry it took so long to reply i tested is and it is 2000 watt the brand name is "solid gear 95 gold"
but my rig still isnt firing up i think its the power button but still not sure everything is brandnew so it should all work just fine.

Jul 5, 2019
i think the wiring is wrong because i hook up the way the diagram shows but still nothing i thought if the board way bad i would atleast get beep errors. i got a great processor and 32 gb of ram which is the max along with 4 gtx 1050 TI graphics cards but only have one pluged in so i can install its drivers along with a 2000 watt power supply but i get nothing anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or might be?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
solid_gear_power_supply_unit_psu_2000_watts_95_plus_gold_1520266107_ce463a53.jpg

Gross.

First, Solid Gear sells junk PSUs.

Second, if it wasn't junk, this isn't a 2000W power supply. It's essentially a 600W power supply. Quite brazen, too, directly trying to show that 12 * 50 = 1600. They're not even bothering to put effort into the lie.

Third, look at that fake logo! What's better than 80 Plus? A 95 Plus badge that we just made up!

How bad is this PSU? To illustrate, let's make our own PSU, with the exact same certification process as the Solid Gear PSU.

Tastiyum.png

Technically, this is a superior PSU because connecting things to it won't break anything.

I'm also curious how you're going to turn a profit with four 1050 Tis, but I guess that's another question.

i think the wiring is wrong because i hook up the way the diagram shows but still nothing i thought if the board way bad i would atleast get beep errors. i got a great processor and 32 gb of ram which is the max along with 4 gtx 1050 TI graphics cards but only have one pluged in so i can install its drivers along with a 2000 watt power supply but i get nothing anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or might be?

Anyone else notice the intentionally bad math on the side label?

What's +12V * 50A, people?

It's 600W. They have 1600W on the label. Then that magically becomes 2000W!!!!!

This PSU is a bomb. It's a scam. It's a fire hazard! GET RID OF IT!!!!!!

It's like those old 500W car amps with "1000W" on the label!!! ABSOLUTE JUNK!!!!