Question ASUS B250M-A Unable to install windows via usb or internal optical drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vedalkin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I have been building my computers for years and this issue is a first for me, and I am kinda stumped. Feeling like it is a motherboard issue, but I think I have narrowed it down either to 3 things. PSU, CPU, Motherboard.
(RAM has been tested on another machine)

I have an ASUS b250m-a motherboard.
EVGA 600w plus power supply.
Corsair CMK16x4M2A2133C13 RAM.
i7 6700 CPU.

Bios comes up fine(and has been updated). Shows CPU freq and temp. RAM freq. Hard drives, thumb drive and internal optical drives all show as well. However, when I try to load windows(7 or 10) it always gets stuck after loading the windows logo. No actual installation happens. It's like it just loads the pre files then just stops reading. I have tried installing windows from several different thumb drives, and have tried all 4 usb ports. I have also tried installing windows via an internal optical drive with the same exact results. I have also tried 4 different hard drives (two SSD drives, an M2 drive, and a standard SATA drive. Both copies of windows are legit and I have double checked that they will both install on an old test computer I have. I have gone through the bios trying different settings. Resetting, and trying over countless times.

I have even tried removing the mother board and setting it on the box it came in and just hooking up the bare minimum. PSU, CPU fan, hard drive, RAM, HDMI, mouse and keyboard. Same results.

Any ideas?

it looks like your BIOS are not working correctly with your motherboard..

you can install windows on your internal Boot drive. from other computer and then plug it to your PC. and see if it turns on..

if not.. then try to install old BIOS on your motherboard...

if it is not possible to install BIOS.. get a USB BIOS programmer with SOIC 8clip to programm your BIOS

Vedalkin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
you can install windows on your internal Boot drive. from other computer and then plug it to your PC. and see if it turns on..
I actually tried this. It gave me a read error. The bios installed is the latest one from the ASUS site. I installed it via ethernet connection. I guess I could try to roll it back to an older BIOS. It just seems weird it failed with the stock BIOS it came with, and acted no different after installing the latest BIOS.

EDIT - I just tried rolling the BIOS back to an older version via usb(formatted fat32), and got the "this is not a proper bios file" error. So I downloaded one older with same reults. It is a .cap file. From what I understand, you don't have to rename it to rom when using the EZ flash utility. But just for the heck of it I tried renaming them to .rom with the same results. After doing some more research, the file should be named b250ma.cap. Tried it.No dice. Same result.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I have heard some people having rollback issues once they upgrade to the latest bios. And I cant use their MEUpdateTool, as I cannot get windows to install. So close to making a Frisbee out of this board... Had it too long trying to assemble all the parts for the build. RMA is past as an option.

Last edited:

Vedalkin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Guess I'll try calling asus tomorrow and see if they can mail me a bios chip. That is my last ditch effort before I give up and order another board from a different company.(unless anyone has any other suggestions)

This has been the second asus board I have had issues with. I think I am done with asus boards. I used to love the old Black Pearl boards from back in the old P4 days, but it seems quality is just not what it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.