[SOLVED] Asus B450-f boot questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
So I have been trying to find a clear video that explains how to boot from a USB in Asus's BIOS. Some videos that I have watched say different things and me not knowing much is making it tough,,, So after the PC is put together I have my USB in hand, what are the steps I should take at this point to boot in to the windows installation? Or What are the steps to take at first post? Are there any specific settings i need to check or change at first post? I am basically looking for clear straight forward answers. Or a really good guide with a ASUS mobo. Once windows is installed I will still need help with the drivers and what not. So as you can see I am a complete NEWBIE.

Solution
Go into the BIOS. Navigate to the Boot tab. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the attached USB flash drive letter from the boot overrride option. It will be a ONE TIME boot override, after which it should automatically configure itself to boot from the Windows boot manager, which is what you want.

Be CERTAIN to disconnect ALL other drives except the one that contains the installation media and the drive you are installing windows ON, until after the installation is complete.

My guide gives you full, step by step instructions. There might be one or two changed steps in there that are new since the last major update which I haven not had time to include as updated steps in my guide, but overall it will take you through it in...
Go into the BIOS. Navigate to the Boot tab. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the attached USB flash drive letter from the boot overrride option. It will be a ONE TIME boot override, after which it should automatically configure itself to boot from the Windows boot manager, which is what you want.

Be CERTAIN to disconnect ALL other drives except the one that contains the installation media and the drive you are installing windows ON, until after the installation is complete.

My guide gives you full, step by step instructions. There might be one or two changed steps in there that are new since the last major update which I haven not had time to include as updated steps in my guide, but overall it will take you through it in pretty much exactly the steps required.

I would advise that in the BIOS, before you begin the installation, that you navigate to the Secure boot settings and select the option for Windows 8/10 (Full UEFI) and disable CSM (Compatibility support module). If you are unable to choose and use the boot override feature for your flash drive after disabling CSM, you may need to set that to Auto. Or, just leave it on Auto, but do not set it to Enabled unless absolutely necessary.

Solution

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Ahh great thank you so much! I have one question what does changing all this do. And will it have a affect on anything if it will not change like you said?

That works too. Either the boot override or the boot override menu using F8, are both equally capable methods. I'd still configure the BIOS settings as explained though if you want the installation to be a full UEFI GPT style partition installation. While you can certainly change the partition type later, and convert to GPT, it makes more sense to have it that way from the start whenever possible.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Can't keep track of all the changes made between brands and generations anymore. LOL.

Even in the same generation on the same brand, from model to model in some cases.
Absolutely.
I just figured that since I have that exact same Asus board and actually used the Boot Menu a few times (including installing Win 10 to a GPT SSD), I'd post the relevant info.
I have no idea if this is true for other manufacturers or even other models made by Asus, LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.