Question ASUS B450M-A with EATX12V connector from hell

Jul 30, 2020
Hi Folks,

I have a new ASUS PRIME B450M-A motherboard. The power supply is the peacefully sounding brand "be quiet!", sytem power 9, 400W.
All went well until I came to the 8 pin EATX12V connector. The power supply has one cable with 2 connectors in 6+2 format labeled with EATX, and one cable with 2 connectors in 4+4 format labeled CPU.

The 6 block fitted easily in the motherboard connector but the other 2 piece block just won't fit. This connector has a-symmetries to prevent wrong placement.
It is obvious that should fit with gently pressing or not at all.

It took me quite some time, and some swearing (that by the way did not help at all) that these connector were made to fit in NO POSSIBLE WAY.
Only after I deployed a very large magnifying glass I found out that the mother board connector and the power plug will never fit.
The 2 piece EATX mother board connector has an curved pin pointed to the inside, so between the pins. The power plug has the curve to the outside. They will never fit. A connector straight from hell...
Which one is wrong, ASUS or the "be quite!" power supply?

This leaves me with 2 options:

• just leave as it is with the 6 piece part. Something will obviously get no power
  • use the 4+4 CPU connector
Checking the spec from "be quiet" says the 2 block (pin 7 and 8) are COM both. So there they won't do anything.
The 4 block CPU has +12 Volt and COM on every 2 pins, but different orientation!

Can anyone help me with this?

Jul 30, 2020
Thank you that worked!!!

First put the 6 plug in without the 2. When turning on the power 2 yellow lights lit on the motherboard. After pressing the power button nothing happened.
Panic.... some swearing afterwards.

The 2x4 plug worked. The computer started.

Thanx a lot

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS