Question Asus B550-E Motherboard Cpu Socket Clicking Problem, help me please?

Jun 27, 2020
Hello everybody. I purchased this beautifull motherboard in Brussels/Belgium today and the motherboard's cpu socket latch is clicking loudly when I pull back on it. If I dont pull back, cpu doesnt budge, wont come out at all.

Here are 2 videos I recorded today.

View: https://youtu.be/fv4e2lze6XM

View: https://youtu.be/M92hdjXchV8

I am greatfull to anyone who has an idea about this, what should I do?

Thank-you for your time.

Furzumz

Reputable
I do believe that's normal.

I have the same socket type as you (AM4) and it functions the same way: pushing down the lever latches the CPU in place and it will only unlatch when I pull it back enough to where I feel / hear a noticeable click. That click is the processor being unlatched

As long as your processor is installed in the right direction and is properly seated in the socket it shouldn't damage it in any way. Pretty sure the latching is a intentional design to ensure the CPU is making contact with the socket.

I did this with my ryzen 5 1600 and its perfectly fine, no issues and no broken pins. Also did this with a new processor recently and same thing - no broken pins, no issues what so ever.

Just make sure the processor is installed in the right direction and is seated in the socket properly before pushing the lever down or you risk breaking pins

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020
Hello, thank-you for taking your time to write for my threat, I appreciate it a lot. The thing is, I built 4 ryzen systems with 4 different motherboard, 3 of them being Asus and the CPU never got stuck like this. The socket is locking up as can be seen in the video and I have to force pull the latch to recover my CPU from the socket which makes the loud release sound. Due to this, I am worried that the loud clicking noise is due to too much pressure on CPU pins.

Normally, I'd drop on my ryzen cpu and take it off with no problem, it is butter-like. I am going to return this mobo and buy the same one as a replacement. If it is the same, I will feel ok but like this, it is bothering me.
Otherwise, the mobo is superb for me, I love it.