Question ASUS B550 E Strix: two different serial numbers ?

Aug 6, 2022
I have an ASUS B550 E Strix. It's a good board, but I had issues registering the MoBo in Armory Crate. Basically, when I entered the serial number off the side of the box into the designated field it kept telling me the serial number wasn't valid. I tried pulling it out of BIOS and running CMD as several people online have suggested. Both ways failed. I came across a post on these forums, the Original Poster was trying to find the number on the board. There is a sticker on or near the SATA tower lower right-hand corner or the board with a 12-digit code. This code doesn't match the SN# on the box, but when I entered it in Armory Crate it registered my board and updated my info. Under the picture of the B550E Strix was the SN# off the box.

So... is this for security reasons?

I guess the lesson here is to use the 12-digit code off the board, and not the actual SN# from the box, BIOS, or running CMD when registering your product.
Is this true for all ASUS MoBos?

Aug 6, 2022
That is exactly what I thought when Armory Crate accepted the number I got off the MoBo. But when Armory Crate updated my information the number on the MoBo wasn't used as the serial number, it used the number from the side of the box. I literally thought I was going crazy, that or blind because I kept entering the number from the box to be told it was invalid.

Anyways, I tossed this out there for you guys in case another ASUS B550 Strix owner has the same issues. I'd like to know why they did it that way, and if it is true for all ASUS MoBos.