[SOLVED] Asus B550-F (WiFi 6) BIOS Flashback not working, DRAM Q-LED lit up (now VGA Q-LED)

Dec 30, 2020
I recently put together a PC with the following hardware:

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F (WiFi 6)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2D3600C18
Corsair RM 850x
ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity 24GB

The computer fails to POST with the Q-LED for DRAM turning on and staying lit, and the Boot Q-LED turning on a minute or two after, with no display on the monitor. Initially I tried a number of different configurations for the RAM sticks (B2 & A2 are the recommended, so I've tried both in both slots, swapped, and either only in the B2 slot). I've researched the issue and found that others having this issue with my motherboard and generation of CPU almost unanimously found that updating the BIOS solved the issue. However, I have been unable to get BIOS Flashback to work in order to do this.

I am using a USB stick which I've cleaned and turned into an MRB partition and formatted for FAT32, downloaded the BIOS Update for the B550-F WiFi (version 1601) extracted the files, used the rename tool to rename the file to RB550FGW.CAP, then copied the file onto the USB stick. With the power supply on, but the computer off, I plug in the USB stick and hold down on the flashback button for 3 seconds. Each time, the light flashes 5 times and then goes solid indefinitely (I've let it go as long as 10 minutes without anything happening), and no activity indicated on the light on the USB stick. The manual indicates this means that the BIOS flashback isn't working. I've also tried with an older bios version (1216) with the same results, and clearing CMOS first with the same results.

The only thing I can think of to do at this stage is to purchase a new USB stick. Any ideas why the BIOS Flashback wouldn't be working for me?

Solution
Try this below.

• Shutdown PC
  • PSU switch to off
  • Unplug from wall
  • Press the power button and keep it pressed for 15 seconds
  • Remove battery from the motherboard and come back in 10 minutes
  • Put battery back
  • Plug PSU in the wall
  • PSU switch to on
  • Start system

Make sure your RAM is in the good slots. A2-B2.

Make sure everything is connected properly.

Reseat the GPU. This one fixed the white light if the white light is still lit when you see the green boot Q-LED.
Dec 30, 2020
I tried again with the video card removed but that didn't work either. I will need to purchase a new USB key. Are there certain specifications it has to have? I'm currently using a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB.

Dec 30, 2020
I've made a bit of progress and found that I made a rookie mistake of inserting the USB stick into the wrong port (the one under the BIOS Flashback icon, when I should have inserted it into the one next to it with just the BIOS label above it). It appears to have successfully updated the BIOS, which has cleared the DRAM light on POST.

However, now I am getting a white VGA Q-LED that it's hanging on after cycling through the others and then popping on the green Boot Q-LED. I tried disconnecting the video card and PCIe cables and reattaching them, but still getting the VGA Q-LED.

Try this below.

• Shutdown PC
  • PSU switch to off
  • Unplug from wall
  • Press the power button and keep it pressed for 15 seconds
  • Remove battery from the motherboard and come back in 10 minutes
  • Put battery back
  • Plug PSU in the wall
  • PSU switch to on
  • Start system

Make sure your RAM is in the good slots. A2-B2.

Make sure everything is connected properly.

Reseat the GPU. This one fixed the white light if the white light is still lit when you see the green boot Q-LED.

Solution