Info ASUS B550-F (WiFi) motherboard won't post - white Q-LED caused by bad CPU (not GPU) / Windows 10 taskbar not loading properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2021
I registered to the forum today in hopes of saving someone some headache and trouble. The short version is that I had a bad CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X) that caused the Asus B550-F WiFi motherboard not to post and return a white Q-LED light (an indicator of a faulty graphics card). I built the system at the beginning of July 2021 without any issues, but by mid-August, it would no longer boot.

In order to reach my conclusion, I tried everything under the sun. I RMA'd the motherboard to Asus twice. I tested the board with two different graphics cards that worked perfectly in another machine. I tried moving the GPU to the second PCI slot. I removed and reseated both RAM sticks, as well as tried each stick by itself. Reset CMOS by removing battery. Unplugged and plugged in all cables and connections again. I removed the M.2 SSD completely, as well as put it in a different slot. Then, I bought a brand new B550-F and the same thing happened--it wouldn't post immediately after the build. I knew at that point something else had to be the cause. Thankfully, I had purchased the replacement plan from Micro Center on the Ryzen, and they swapped it out, no questions asked (thanks, Micro Center!). I rebuilt the machine again for a 4th time, and everything booted up perfectly.

Bottom line: The white Q-LED light on this particular board might mean a bad CPU, even though their support reps and all documentation will suggest it's a faulty GPU and/or bad PCI slots.

In an unrelated issue I had been having since I first built the machine in July, there was a strange issue with the Windows 10 taskbar not loading properly on startup. Once on the desktop, I would have to click the mouse on the taskbar, the screen would flash white, and then the taskbar would finally load. After weeks of being unable to solve this problem, I figured it might go away upon building the PC again today and starting from scratch. Nope!! The same thing happened as soon as I started Windows for the first time and had not installed any programs whatsoever. Some searching online brought me to the solution. I have a Razer Huntsman Mini keyboard (60%) connected via USB, and it had the original firmware. The old Razer firmware causes the Windows 10 taskbar not to load properly. The firmware has now been updated, and everything runs as it should. Hopefully this info helps someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS