[SOLVED] ASUS B85M-G BIOS update with ASUS Tool does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2021
Hi all,

I have an audio-devoted computer (I run Cubase on it) running Windows 10 Pro on an i5-4430 CPU and ASUS B85M-G mainboard. Nothing too fancy, I know, but it does its work. I found a good offer on an i7-4790, which could help to boost the performance of my system. But then, the nightmare began: that mainboard, which had BIOS 0604, needed a BIOS update using an special program by ASUS.

The message on ASUS WEB says: "Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool."

So I located it but, on my Windows 10 installation (updated to last version), just didn't run and asked for another thing, the "Intel MEI - Management Engine Interface", which also refused to install.

After much struggling I decided to go the sure way, by disconnecting all SSDs and placing a freshly formatted HDD, installing there a fresh OS and run the utility from there. Well, it has been so far impossible. I have tried what I have around: Windows 7 32 bits first, and a 2017 Windows 10 64 bits later (with LAN disconnected so it does not update). On both, the Intel MEI could be installed, but the BIOS updater refuses to run, telling it is not installled (but on the Devices Manager it is shown as up and running!)

So, I am afraid when the CPU arrives, I won't be able to use it, as from other people experiences, if you just update the BIOS by the EZ Flash way (I have done it also as a last resource), the mainboard still does not work with latest 4th generation CPUs.

Any hint to overcome this?. I would hate to be unable to use the i7-4790 on my system, being in theory able to do it.

Thanks!

Jose

Solution
but know it is not enough
To get a cpu to run, you need a compatible motherboard and supported bios, which in this case you already done that (well i hope, the latest bios is you are on (3602)).

But after i read it, it was some years ago, you might just jump it to the latest version, and see if it worked (find bios version on cpuz). also before you install the new cpu, uninstall all the processors in device manager like this:
unknown.png
Hi all,

I have an audio-devoted computer (I run Cubase on it) running Windows 10 Pro on an i5-4430 CPU and ASUS B85M-G mainboard. Nothing too fancy, I know, but it does its work. I found a good offer on an i7-4790, which could help to boost the performance of my system. But then, the nightmare began: that mainboard, which had BIOS 0604, needed a BIOS update using an special program by ASUS.

The message on ASUS WEB says: "Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool."

So I located it but, on my Windows 10 installation (updated to last version), just didn't run and asked for another thing, the "Intel MEI - Management Engine Interface", which also refused to install.

After much struggling I decided to go the sure way, by disconnecting all SSDs and placing a freshly formatted HDD, installing there a fresh OS and run the utility from there. Well, it has been so far impossible. I have tried what I have around: Windows 7 32 bits first, and a 2017 Windows 10 64 bits later (with LAN disconnected so it does not update). On both, the Intel MEI could be installed, but the BIOS updater refuses to run, telling it is not installled (but on the Devices Manager it is shown as up and running!)

So, I am afraid when the CPU arrives, I won't be able to use it, as from other people experiences, if you just update the BIOS by the EZ Flash way (I have done it also as a last resource), the mainboard still does not work with latest 4th generation CPUs.

Any hint to overcome this?. I would hate to be unable to use the i7-4790 on my system, being in theory able to do it.

Thanks!

Jose
You mean flashing from windows? Always Flash bios through the BIOS itself. Dontt fear anything, just make sure there is no blackout.

Sep 7, 2021
You mean flashing from windows? Always Flash bios through the BIOS itself. Dontt fear anything, just make sure there is no blackout.

The problem is that, on this particular mainboard, the EZ Flash BIOS update seems to be insufficient to get the "new" 4th generation CPUs working fine. It seems the Windows application does something else besides upgrading the BIOS.

ASUS clearly advises to go that way and there are plenty of threads around the WEB with exactly that same problem. I have already updated the BIOS using EZ Flash, but know it is not enough.

One of those threads:

ASUS B85M-G > Haswell Refresh

Trust me, I have read quite a lot on this problem so far!

Jose

but know it is not enough
To get a cpu to run, you need a compatible motherboard and supported bios, which in this case you already done that (well i hope, the latest bios is you are on (3602)).

But after i read it, it was some years ago, you might just jump it to the latest version, and see if it worked (find bios version on cpuz). also before you install the new cpu, uninstall all the processors in device manager like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 7, 2021

unknown.png

Yes, I installed latest BIOS (3602) and CPU-Z shows it. I will get in short time the i7-4790. Will do what you suggest. although I have read elsewhere of people with that same last BIOS and non-booting machines, as this one from 2020:

Installed new CPU and now there's no display - Asus B85m-g and i5 4570

Read to middle thread or so, when he installs 3602 and no luck either...

Yes, it seems quite tricky!!!

Jose

Yes, it seems quite tricky!!!
Well if it doesn't work then you have to use a bios programmer tool like CH341A and flash the file directly while the motherboard is not connected to anything, since it will pure write the bios.

It's kinda weird for a motherboard that wont completely re write the bios and instead wont make the cpu work :tearsofjoy:

If you mean bios update via windows, it does mean this: WinFlash

I only used it twice on my friends laptop back in 2018, and it does update the bios, it's just strange enough that the EZ flash wont work :tearsofjoy:

Sep 7, 2021
Well if it doesn't work then you have to use a bios programmer tool like CH341A and flash the file directly while the motherboard is not connected to anything, since it will pure write the bios.

It's kinda weird for a motherboard that wont completely re write the bios and instead wont make the cpu work :tearsofjoy:

If you mean bios update via windows, it does mean this: WinFlash

I only used it twice on my friends laptop back in 2018, and it does update the bios, it's just strange enough that the EZ flash wont work :tearsofjoy:

Well, the i7-4790 arrived today and, as I expected, even if the BIOS is shown as latest version on setup, the system does not POST. So I am stuck with a better CPU but with a Mainboard which needs to run an application from the Windows environment which is impossible to run! (tested with fresh Win7 32b and Win10 64b)

Please, if someones has gone through this before, let me know how did you manage to run the ASUS tool (which OS and such)

Thanks!

Jose

Well, the i7-4790 arrived today and, as I expected, even if the BIOS is shown as latest version on setup, the system does not POST. So I am stuck with a better CPU but with a Mainboard which needs to run an application from the Windows environment which is impossible to run! (tested with fresh Win7 32b and Win10 64b)

Please, if someones has gone through this before, let me know how did you manage to run the ASUS tool (which OS and such)

Thanks!

Jose
could you boot to windows with old cpu and do winflash?

I installed it but when I run it asks for an ATK controller... which seems to be something related to laptops?
i see, that this motherboard need to install the MEI too
try to install this and reboot, and then this and reboot. And then try to update the bios again to the latest.

Sep 7, 2021
i see, that this motherboard need to install the MEI too
try to install this and reboot, and then this and reboot. And then try to update the bios again to the latest.

Yes, all the problems began with MEI, as there was no way to install it on my current Windows 10 installation. I am now doing another try with Windows XP and have been able to get a bit more into the install process, but then another error arises... this is mad!

Sep 7, 2021
I GOT IT WORKING !!!:bounce:

I mean ASUS B85M-G and Intel i7-4790 (it will work for all compatible new 4th generation CPUs)
(if your BIOS is already the required version or newer, it should work fine without any of this)

Just in case someone else finds himself on same trouble, here you have one way to solve it. I tried before with Win 7 32b and Win10 64b with no success, but YMMV and you can be lucky with newer OSs than the one I used. Note: if you just install the newest BIOS using EZ Flash, it will install BUT the new 4th gen CPU won't post. I have first hand experience!

BIOS UPDATE PROCEDURE
-Take any spare hard disk and format it in NFTS
-Have a USB memory ready
-DIsconnect your storage devices to protect data and software
-Install Windows XP Professional SP3 on the spare hard disk. Don't bother about drivers (VGA, Network, sound). Just the standard installation
-Download the latest BIOS from ASUS for the mainboard (3602). Copy it on a USB memory.
-Download MEI - Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287 for Windows XP software from ASUS B85M-G WEB page, DRIVERS & TOOLS section (it is listed as CHIPSET) and the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors (listed as BIOS-Utilities) and copy to USB memory
-Copy everything from the USB drive to the PC desktop, so you have the BIOS file and utilities ready
-After successful MEI install (NECESSARY), execute the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors
-Enjoy your new 4th generation CPU!

I am writing this from my new PC :D

Sep 18, 2021
Congrats Jose! This is amazing trouble shooting, and happy to hear that someone has met success with this issue.

I am facing the same struggle with my ASUS B85M-G and Core i7 4790K.
I have been through a very similar investigation path, and it has lead me to here, but I am not having as much luck.
I have a spare Hard drive, Disc drive, and Main board components connected and running WinXP Pro SP3, but when I attempt to install the MEI software, I am getting a very generic error. "This computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for installing the software." :(:coldsweat:
Did you happen to come across this error when installing in your XP environment?

Really appreciate the work you've done to figure out the root cause.
It boggles my mind that simply properly updating a BIOS would be met with this many roadblocks.

UPDATE....
Further to this, I was able to get an older copy of Asus AI Suite 3 Utilities installed under Windows 10, and successfully flash the bios from windows
This however did not fix my problem, so it's possible I am actually dealing with a dead processor, and not the same issue.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I GOT IT WORKING !!!:bounce:

I mean ASUS B85M-G and Intel i7-4790 (it will work for all compatible new 4th generation CPUs)
(if your BIOS is already the required version or newer, it should work fine without any of this)

Just in case someone else finds himself on same trouble, here you have one way to solve it. I tried before with Win 7 32b and Win10 64b with no success, but YMMV and you can be lucky with newer OSs than the one I used. Note: if you just install the newest BIOS using EZ Flash, it will install BUT the new 4th gen CPU won't post. I have first hand experience!

BIOS UPDATE PROCEDURE
-Take any spare hard disk and format it in NFTS
-Have a USB memory ready
-DIsconnect your storage devices to protect data and software
-Install Windows XP Professional SP3 on the spare hard disk. Don't bother about drivers (VGA, Network, sound). Just the standard installation
-Download the latest BIOS from ASUS for the mainboard (3602). Copy it on a USB memory.
-Download MEI - Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287 for Windows XP software from ASUS B85M-G WEB page, DRIVERS & TOOLS section (it is listed as CHIPSET) and the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors (listed as BIOS-Utilities) and copy to USB memory
-Copy everything from the USB drive to the PC desktop, so you have the BIOS file and utilities ready
-After successful MEI install (NECESSARY), execute the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors
-Enjoy your new 4th generation CPU!

I am writing this from my new PC :D
Wow, this is very informative! gotta bookmark this one!

Sep 7, 2021
Congrats Jose! This is amazing trouble shooting, and happy to hear that someone has met success with this issue.

I am facing the same struggle with my ASUS B85M-G and Core i7 4790K.
I have been through a very similar investigation path, and it has lead me to here, but I am not having as much luck.
I have a spare Hard drive, Disc drive, and Main board components connected and running WinXP Pro SP3, but when I attempt to install the MEI software, I am getting a very generic error. "This computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for installing the software." :(:coldsweat:
Did you happen to come across this error when installing in your XP environment?

Really appreciate the work you've done to figure out the root cause.
It boggles my mind that simply properly updating a BIOS would be met with this many roadblocks.

UPDATE....
Further to this, I was able to get an older copy of Asus AI Suite 3 Utilities installed under Windows 10, and successfully flash the bios from windows
This however did not fix my problem, so it's possible I am actually dealing with a dead processor, and not the same issue.

Cheers.

Sorry for delay. I see you have had success in software installation but the CPU does not work... Yes, t could be the CPU, of course. In my case, it was guaranteed as working and indeed it was, so I did all that work to be able to finally get it working. Now, some time later, keeps going perfectly.

The only difference is that yours is a K version and mine a plain i7-4790. If you were close, I could test your CPU on my mainboard, as that model should also work, but seems not the case (I am in Spain)

Regards,

Jose

Reactions: Koekieezz
Status
Not open for further replies.