[SOLVED] ASUS BIOS Flash question

Status
Not open for further replies.

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
I am trying to update my BIOS on my ASUS Maximus Hero XII mobo in order to update my Windows 10. I have downloaded the file and it also downloaded a BIOS renamer app. I used the renamer, and it says the file has been renamed (to M12H.cap) , yet when I extracted the file to my USB, it still shows the original file name (2103.cap) As I am a novice when it comes to BIOS, I am hesitant to try the update.
Have I missed something, or out of sequence? I hate to brick my PC. I have only flashed a BIOS one other time (successfully), but I am leary. EZ Flash and all that sounds great, but still makes me nervous!

Solution
I am wondering if I need to update BIOS at all, but Microsoft people think the reason my Windows update is failing, is due to the BIOS.
That is possible. But I would try any other solutions first before doing BIOS update. Still it may be unavoidable. Your board has BIOS flashback button, right? That means there is a chance for recovery even after failed BIOS update.
That's a pure speculation, but shouldn't you extract first, use renamer later?
Anyway, if the BIOS sees file with the wrong name it should not update anything. The real problem can happen if you take wrong file (always check at least twice you download update for correct motherboard model) and rename it to name the board expects.

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
I am not sure of the order. they are not very specific in the instructions.
I am wondering if I need to update BIOS at all, but Microsoft people think the reason my Windows update is failing, is due to the BIOS. I have read that some Windows updates do require BIOS updates, but its the first I have seen an issue. There have been at least 4 BIOS updates since I built this PC, and I never have had an issue. ASUS EZ-updater seems to think I do not need to update.

I am wondering if I need to update BIOS at all, but Microsoft people think the reason my Windows update is failing, is due to the BIOS.
That is possible. But I would try any other solutions first before doing BIOS update. Still it may be unavoidable. Your board has BIOS flashback button, right? That means there is a chance for recovery even after failed BIOS update.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.