Asus BIOS updater for Devil's Canyon won't recognize Intel MEI Driver [Asus Z87-A]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tef164

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I got a second hand system and ordered some upgrades with the i5-4690K among them. To use the new processor, I gotta update the BIOS firmware. I can't do it from a usb/ the BIOS menu; I tried that and the computer won't POST with the new processor. (The processor debug LED stays lit)

Any time I attempt to run the Asus program, it tells me it can't find the Intel MEI driver--which it needs to run--on my system even though I've installed the latest driver. My last ditch effort has been to do a clean install of windows 10 pro, install chipset driver, restart, install MEI driver, restart, run Asus BIOS updater.

I'm at my wits end, so any help is appreciated. I'm so close to just buying a Z97 mobo even though my wallet would be crying. System specs follow:

CPU: Intel G3220
Mobo: Asus Z87-A
RAM: 1x2gb Mushkin HPE-12800
PSU: Corsair GS800

Thanks!

Solution
For others still struggling with this (so many hours lost trying to solve this...) This answer does actually work:

"This issue solved after I try to:
1/ Uninstalled current Intel Management Engine Interface version. (Current version: 11.0.0.1146)
2/ Install older IMEI version, the version which I installed is: 9.0.0.1323"

You can get the legacy drivers and read all about IMEI here:
http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

The download link you're looking for is the one this in the section "D1. Old Intel MEI Driver Only", specifically:

• Intel MEI Driver v8.1.40.1416 (9.0.0.1287) MEI-Only Installer

Good Luck!

Tef164

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
When I tried EZ Flash, the drive was FAT32 formatted and plugged into a USB 3.0 port. I don't see why the flash would have been faulty though, computer works fine with the pentium processor. It only fails to POST with the i5.

Tef164

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
So I flashed to the most current (2103) initially, but it's currently rolled back to 1602 which is the BIOS rev. right before they started supporting the new 4th gen. processors. I rolled back to see if it would fix the problem with not recognizing the MEI driver... I know it shouldn't affect it at all / wouldn't fix the problem but I had run out of sensible ideas at that point.

From the searching I did before I made this thread, it seems that I have to use the Asus program because it does more than just flash the BIOS. EZ Flash seems to work for a small amount of people, but they probably had a newer revision of the mobo.

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
You lost me
does your computer post with i5 4690k with 2103 or not? does it post with 1601?
You say you wanted to flash to 2103 but windows 10 won't let you because of the mei drive.
but now you are telling me you had already flashed to 2103 initially. Now if you were already on 2103 and your cpu still doesn't work then obviously 1. z87a won't work with i5 4690k. 2. you got a bad z87a.

3. If your computer post with 2103 and/or 1601 and you are able to use windows but all it is is that you cannot launch a certain program, then obviously it's a software issue (Windows 10).

Edit: I used i7 4770k and currently using devil's canyon pentium g3258 (long story). I flashed i7 4770k with the bios to 2103.

Tef164

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Ok so I initially got the system second hand without a usable HDD. Asus recommends using a specific windows tool to configure their Z87 mobos for Devil's Canyon. While I waited for my new storage media and processor to ship, I EZ-flashed the bios to 2103. When the parts arrived I put them in, and the computer would not POST even after taking out my GPUS, and all but 1 of my RAM sticks.

After trying to google some solutions, I came across a post somewhere that said the recommended tool was needed to properly configure the mobo for DC. With my particular Z87-A, that seems to be the case since it would not post with my DC processor. I put the pentium back and installed windows 10. I downloaded the tool and ran it, it indicated that I must have the Intel MEI driver properly installed for the tool to work. I downloaded the latest driver from Asus' support page and installed it then restarted my computer, but the tool still said I was missing the MEI driver.

Just to be clear, my computer never posts with the DC processor. Not being able to run the Asus tool is definitely a software issue, but I can't for the life of my figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for trying to help. I think I'll try doing this from windows 7 or 8.2 (Hooray for free software from your university); the windows 10 driver might just be borked. If that still fails I guess it's time for a new motherboard.

jackie-chun

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

I got same issue, "Yes" button is grey out, unable to click.

This issue solved after I try to:
1/ Uninstalled current Intel Management Engine Interface version. (Current version: 11.0.0.1146)
2/ Install older IMEI version, the version which I installed is: 9.0.0.1323

Hope this help.

GonzoPoet

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

Hello,

I am having the same issue here. Can I ask where you managed to find the older IMEI version? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks,

GP

Beard of Zeus

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
For others still struggling with this (so many hours lost trying to solve this...) This answer does actually work:

"This issue solved after I try to:
2/ Install older IMEI version, the version which I installed is: 9.0.0.1323"

You can get the legacy drivers and read all about IMEI here:
http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html

The download link you're looking for is the one this in the section "D1. Old Intel MEI Driver Only", specifically:

• Intel MEI Driver v8.1.40.1416 (9.0.0.1287) MEI-Only Installer

Good Luck!

Solution

Eduardo_18

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Hi there!
IT WORKED! Tk God i was going nuts with this 4th generation update!
My mobo is an H87-PLUS and i had the same problems the OP.
My CPU before: G3420
Now I5 4690

I had previously update the bios through Ez update but it didn't work, the new CPU did not post (black screen)
the upgrade has to be done EXACTLY as u said!
1st Install intel MEI Driver v8.1.40.1416
then V2.00.02 (download fm ASUS)
and then latest bios CAP (in my case 2003)

Once again MANY THANKS!

Rgds,
E.Silva

Eduardo_18

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

MILLION TKS MAN! WORKED!

Status
Not open for further replies.