Question ASUS boot fail

May 26, 2020
Hello,

I'm sorry I don't really know how to use forums so this may end up in the wrong place but I am rather desperate and just need help.

I own an ASUS ROG laptop, specs as follows:

BIOS version 311
Intel i7-8750H
16gb RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1060
250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Ok so the laptop was working just fine since I purchased last year and all of a sudden yesterday while browsing online through google up pops the BSOD and before it crashed the only thing I read was 'critical process'. upon the laptop rebooting itself it went straight to BIOS and any attempts to boot the drive just rebooted back to BIOS. In my boot priority is listed Windows Boot Manager (KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3256GJ)

I started off on many online forums that suggested turning off fast mode and secure boot which I have done to no avail. I saw a lot of people talking about CSM settings and changing them but I have no options for this in my advanced menu.

I ended up installing the windows 10 fresh install on a flash drive and it boots into the install no problem however when I get to the select partition to install windows on page I can't select my main C: drive because it does not have enough free space. I tried to format the drive to clear it out but nothing hapens. I formatted my HDD and that worked fine but C drive won't have it.

I cannot access system restore as I don't have a snapshot to revert to. Trying to use the startup repair option says it is repairing disk errors then reboots and just goes back to windows install menu. When I click 'continue to windows 10' option it just reboots and same story.

I accessed the command prompt and followed forum instructions to open diskcheck and tried to clean the C: drive and format it to free up space to reinstall windows but always get the 'access denied' drama.

In my boot options should there not be an option to boot from the HDD ? I assume the KINGSTON drive I listed above is my SSD but then again I don't really know what I am doing.

Any help would be much appreciated because I am going insane trying to figure it out and I believe I have exhausted every option I have found on every page.

May 26, 2020
Sounds like some corruption issues maybe. Have you tried installing Windows onto your HDD instead? Also have you tried the SSD in another computer?
Hi there,

Yes I managed to install windows 10 to the HDD but there is no boot option in my BIOS for the HDD. I havn't pulled out the SSD since its in a laptop and I don't have another laptop to try it with

H0PEFU11Y

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
The only drive it shows me is the SSD (Windows Boot Manager KINGSTON) but no option for HDD in the boot options, I did delete the SSD from the lineup but that just sends me back to BIOS with no boot options so I readded it

Strange. Have you tried the HDD with another computer?

If you plug in a USB, does that show up as a boot option at all?