Asus Bundles 10GbE With ROG Maximus VIII Extreme Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This will go nice with the 1GbE switches and routers in homes as 10GbE switches and routers are not a common thing in a normal home environment. So essentially this motherboard 10GbE connection will be useless to anyone who useses it and does not have a 10GbE switch

I was hoping the NETGEAR ProSAFE GSS108E was a 10GbE switch because its awesome

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
In before people cry about how useless this is.

I would love to have a 10gbps link directly between my desktop and file server. I could use the 1gbps to go to my router. My raid array is crawling when limited to 100MB/s transfer speeds

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
10Gbe is awesome for "low cost" storage networks... I think it's still too expensive for home use... but it's getting tantalizingly close. The pcie cards are now in the ballpark (a bit over a hundred bucks) but the switches need to get below $400 IMO before you'll start seeing consumer adoption.

unixwizard

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
All high end MB's should have 10GbE, or at least one model in each line. NAS's should also sport one of these.

That said, you can get a Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gb card for ~$55 (mine also included the SFP+ cable which is expensive on its own). This is a cheap way to get a point-to-point 10Gb connection for use between workstation and a file server. You don't need a switch to go between two machines, so you can avoid what is usually the biggest single expense in a 10Gb network. I am using these cards for a SAN and the bandwidth is much higher than on 1Gb, but even with these cards, and jumbo frames enabled, I only see around 3Gb/sec using SMB and a bit higher using iSCSI. On Windows 2012 R2, SMB(3.02) has absolutely terrible actual performance compared to iSCSI though, and this matters when using things like PLEX media server, which transcodes and stores chunks of video to stream while also pulling the full source data over the same link, meaning a single HD stream can use up to 150Mb/s of bandwidth to/from your SAN.

Lastly, something to be aware of that matters with 10Gb is that the interrupt processing can be detrimental to attaining high throughput. With SMB(3) on Win2012, the use of RDMA can help dramatically with this, but the X-2 cards don't (officially)support RDMA. They do have interrupt coalescing and several settings to adjust but you can't keep up with data flow unless you have a decent CPU to go with it. I'd recommend no less than a 3Ghz quad core chip on anything with 10Gb, and don't forget you need a PCI 2.0 x8 slot to put it in. If you arent running on a platform like X99 with a 5960, you can run short of PCI lanes once you have RAID controller(s) and possibly a video card in play.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Until home networking equipment starts showing up with 10GbE ports, the use case for this is extremely limited. And yes, I really want to get 10GbE SOHO network built but it is not financially feasible at this time.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
10Gbe is awesome for "low cost" storage networks... I think it's still too expensive for home use... but it's getting tantalizingly close. The pcie cards are now in the ballpark (a bit over a hundred bucks) but the switches need to get below $400 IMO before you'll start seeing consumer adoption.
You're talking about a motherboard that's 3-6x as expensive as other similar products. This is not for "consumers", nor is it for "enthusiasts". It's for what I would call "fanatics". I see no problems here.

floppyedonkey

Honorable
Nov 18, 2014
This will go nice with the 1GbE switches and routers in homes as 10GbE switches and routers are not a common thing in a normal home environment. So essentially this motherboard 10GbE connection will be useless to anyone who useses it and does not have a 10GbE switch

Hate to see your answer to which came first the chicken or the egg. Exact same thing here.

albinofunzo123

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
You're talking about a motherboard that's 3-6x as expensive as other similar products. This is not for "consumers", nor is it for "enthusiasts". It's for what I would call "fanatics". I see no problems here.

This is exactly right. People shouldn't be complaining about something that not a whole lot of people are going to buy anyway, mainly because they have no use/can't use it.

Akalite

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
10GbE is fine for me. I will be going back to South Korea before the years end, and believe me. A 10gb internet connection is very easy to find.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
10GbE cannot happen soon enough!
Totally useless for an internet connection, but I could use more than a 1Gbps connection to my home server. This is long overdue for power users.
Actually it might not be totally useless even for an internet connection. Numerous companies are starting to push hardware and cables out that supposedly can handle 10Gb internet.
Comcast even has some plans to (glory be) upgrade their stuff totally to fiber-optic that can handle those speeds except for the direct connection to the home and even that sometimes.

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Not trying to be negative but there's a chance the prices won't dip very quickly as I doubt the demand would be very high. How many people do you know who honestly NEED a 10gbps connection? And of those people how many of them would want to spend the money it takes for a 10gbps switch? I just think it will be awhile before these become mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS