Question Asus CG5275 Frequent Boot BSODs

Apr 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these crazy times.

I have this Asus CG5275 that I bought refurbished years ago. Right after I was out of the 3 month warranty period, I realized there was an issue. Sometimes when the computer would boot up after being shutdown, it would BSOD. Years ago I tried all sorts of things. Some of those things were reinstalling windows, installing Ubuntu, and making it a hackintosh. All of them had the same problem where sometimes the OS would just have all sorts of errors on fresh boot ups, but it could be fixed by rebooting a few times or running the windows repair utility.

For years, we just got by with keeping the computer in sleep mode. There were no issues with that. However, I would like to get to the bottom of this issue once and for all.

This past week I have tried a few more things without success.

I removed all non-essentials from the motherboard and am using onboard graphics.

It runs fine for a few days then one day BSOD on boot.

I removed the old hard drive and put in a one that I know works, and reinstalled windows.

Same issue.

I changed the SATA cable.

Same issue.

I swapped out the PSU with one that I know has no issues.

Same issue.

I removed all sticks of RAM but one.

Same issue.

Currently I’m running the Windows Memory Diagnotic Tool with 15 passes. 6 tests in and there have been no issues.

I’m at a total loss at this point as to what this could be. Could it really be the motherboard or the CPU?

The exact error I got the last failed boot was:
Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA
What failed: Ntfs.sys

Not sure if this is a clue or not, but sometimes when it boots up successfully, I noticed the back USB ports don’t work.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 15, 2020
I’m running another test where I took out the last stick of RAM and put back in one of the initial 3 that I removed into an other slot.

In the meantime if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Apr 15, 2020
UPDATE:

It was the 1 stick of RAM that I didn't initially remove. Just my luck. It wasn't even the slot on the motherboard. Moral of the story is do not trust memory tests. I ran them years ago and they never showed an issue and I ran many of them this week with the same result. Wish I figured this out years ago.

Thanks for all your help everyone! ;)

TRENDING THREADS