Question Asus CN60 Chromebox no video | recover or repair ?

MotleyCrew

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
I have an Asus CN60 Chromebox that we used for a Google Meet conferencing room a number of years ago. I don't recall the exact problem, and there may have been a surge that took out other equipment at the same time, but in any event, the CN60 was removed from service and put in the IT "graveyard." I do recall I spent a little time unsuccessfully trying to revive the CN60 before putting it away. I pulled it out again, hoping to recover it, but alas it hasn't improved (or degraded, so far as I know) during its time out of service. I simply get no video output (I've tried both HDMI and DisplayPort, made sure my display source selection is correct, etc.), and I get some slow power LED blinks (white) for a while, if I attempt to power on. Eventually, the blinks stop until I press the power button again. I've tried removing power from the Chromebox and depressing the reset button while re-applying power. This makes no difference. I've tried some searches for recovering/reviving a CN60, but mostly find guides for factory resetting and/or "power washing" a CN60 that has functional video signal. I've also tried searching for CN60 blink codes but have found nothing relevant. I would appreciate any suggestions for reviving the CN60 or referrals to forums/groups that may be more appropriate. Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
If there was a surge that knocked the laptop out, then you'll need to look into the motherboard and it's schematics, perhaps probe everything with a multimeter and then see what part is causing a short...but with the way things are now, you're best dropping all that energy/resource into a new laptop/chromebook.

MotleyCrew

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
If there was a surge that knocked the laptop out, then you'll need to look into the motherboard and it's schematics, perhaps probe everything with a multimeter and then see what part is causing a short...but with the way things are now, you're best dropping all that energy/resource into a new laptop/chromebook.

OK, thank you. I was also thinking these Chromeboxes are probably e-waste. Now to figure out how to reset/wipe the SSDs. Generally nothing sensitive on them (both are Chromebox for Meetings), but probably have some Google account info/credentials...
By the way, the systems aren't laptops/Chromebooks.

Latest posts