News Asus confirms ROG Ally X with upgraded hardware — faster RAM and a larger battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hortos

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Can't wait until we get past the casual misunderstanding of VRAM and why it rarely matters at the lower framerates and resolutions these handhelds will be running AAA games.

D

Deleted member 2731765

Can't wait until we get past the casual misunderstanding of VRAM and why it rarely matters at the lower framerates and resolutions these handhelds will be running AAA games.

VRAM or system RAM ?

The current ROG ALLY version actually sports 16GB RAM though, so basically this new X model has 8GB extra !

But the main point is that the memory speed is faster now at LPDDR5/X-7500 vs 6400 on the previous version of the console.

So more bandwidth for the RDNA3 iGPU as well, which might help with performance in some games, if not all ! The memory speed/bandwidth should matter more here, than the memory capacity for integrated GPU performance in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
What caught my attention here wasn't the thing about the upgraded hardware thing, because I don't particularly care. It was the fact we seem to have an undithered GIF image being used.

Yep, this is the sort of thing that I notice. That old web design quirk never quite goes away.

Reactions: usertests
After Gamer's Nexus' warranty experience with their Asus Rog Ally, I'll never buy anything from Asus again.
i mean after their failure to fix the 1st gen ally (sd card overheats and can damage it due to way they physically designed it) and basically give finger to all buyers and then have guts to sell a new model where they changed that for full price is moment you shouldnt buy one.

What caught my attention here wasn't the thing about the upgraded hardware thing, because I don't particularly care. It was the fact we seem to have an undithered GIF image being used.

Yep, this is the sort of thing that I notice. That old web design quirk never quite goes away.
It's not GIF, but they did convert the image to palette without dithering. It does have its charm - saving it to JPEG afterwards was too bad though.

logainofhades

Titan
I swore off buying Asus a long time ago, GN's dealings with them last year over the 7800x3d's burning up, and now the ROG Ally just cemented that stance. Only reason I have any Asus hardware now, is because I won a build with an Asus board and GPU.

Definitely a refresh device that addresses the shortcomings of the Ally which I think is a good thing. It seems like a good device for those who didn't jump on the bandwagon but were thinking about it.

Generally speaking I think a lot of hardware releases too often which causes all sorts of compromises. Hopefully 24GB becomes standard for the handhelds for the easy 16/8 system/video split (I run my Ally at 10/6).

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
Definitely a refresh device that addresses the shortcomings of the Ally which I think is a good thing. It seems like a good device for those who didn't jump on the bandwagon but were thinking about it.

Generally speaking I think a lot of hardware releases too often which causes all sorts of compromises. Hopefully 24GB becomes standard for the handhelds for the easy 16/8 system/video split (I run my Ally at 10/6).
Kinda moot as I'm not an owner and not in the market, but I'm trying to decide how I feel about this "refresh".

On one hand it does keep the same processor and screen... but on the other, doubling the battery, upping the quantity and speed of the RAM, rearranging the internals, and changing the connectivity feels like it's more of a new product than a minor revision? And while it's good that they're addressing some of the faults of the earlier model, given the recent poor PR regarding their support it feels kinda like they're trying to abandon the old and move on to the next shiny thing.

logainofhades

Titan
Which 8gb memory are you referring to here ? 🤔
8gb VRAM, which is what the comment I was responding to was about. Games are becoming more demanding. Granted most are probably terribly optimized console ports, but it won't be long before 8gb VRAM won't cut it anymore, unless you are playing E-Sports type titles. Even Nvida has said 8gb isn't enough for some games at max settings now. Given it a couple more years, and that problem will only get worse. Kinda like how 4gb is too little now.

TechyIT223

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 30, 2023
8gb VRAM, which is what the comment I was responding to was about. Games are becoming more demanding. Granted most are probably terribly optimized console ports, but it won't be long before 8gb VRAM won't cut it anymore, unless you are playing E-Sports type titles. Even Nvida has said 8gb isn't enough for some games at max settings now. Given it a couple more years, and that problem will only get worse. Kinda like how 4gb is too little now.

Oh I know that you were replying to the person above you, but how does VRAM relate to this ROG ally console ?

Im sure the poster meant system memory, because there is no discreet GPU in this Asus handheld console with a dedicated VRAM unless I'm mistaken.

There is only an igpu like mentioned above.

On one hand it does keep the same processor and screen... but on the other, doubling the battery, upping the quantity and speed of the RAM, rearranging the internals, and changing the connectivity feels like it's more of a new product than a minor revision? And while it's good that they're addressing some of the faults of the earlier model, given the recent poor PR regarding their support it feels kinda like they're trying to abandon the old and move on to the next shiny thing.
There's no way this will cost the same price as the Ally currently does and there are no rumors regarding lower SKUs so chances are this will sit at the top with the other two below until they do a full revamp.

logainofhades

Titan
Oh I know that you were replying to the person above you, but how does VRAM relate to this ROG ally console ?

Im sure the poster meant system memory, because there is no discreet GPU in this Asus handheld console with a dedicated VRAM unless I'm mistaken.

There is only an igpu like mentioned above.

Vram was mentioned in the article.

The larger and faster RAM will give the new Ally X an advantage, especially as newer titles require more VRAM. The Z1 Extreme’s integrated graphics will also benefit from faster RAM, which will allow it to push out more frames per second.

Reactions: TechyIT223
Status
Not open for further replies.