Asus Confirms Smaller Windows 8 Tablets, Sub-$300 Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Although I think Win8 is pretty bad for the cooperate environment, these tablets at that price peek my interest as a student. I would probably have paid $300 for a Win8 tablet instead of buying my Nexus7. I really enjoy my Nexus7, but having the convenience of a full OS is hard to beat.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
The1kingbob, I may have missed it, but did it specify "Windows 8 Pro" in there? If not, these may be metro tablets, and as such, no full OS for you/us.
If they DO start releasing pro tablets at sub $300 prices and they actually work half decently, those will be winners, and in my opinion, far more bang for your buck than almost anything out there. If it's metro though, you may as well go Android unless you *really* want the official MS software suite to play around with.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
The more I wait the better these things are made year after year. I think I'll wait more, I want at least a 13"tablet 720p screen and a good APU for cheap, with full Windows 8 OS of course.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah - these are supposed to be Atom based Windows 8 Pro devices. Honestly, I've been waiting for these. It would be nice to have an affordable tablet that can run desktop apps. I think this has really been Microsoft's biggest barrier into the tablet space.
No matter what type of mobile OS they release - everyone is going to compare it to their desktop product. It's one the pains of having created the defacto standard of operating systems - everything else you do will be compared to it on emotional and functional levels. (See all the kafuffle about the start menu).
Back on topic though, I'm a little surprised that they would accept the gambit of releasing these on the current gen Atom series of processors than delaying a product launch for the much improved newer Atom's that are just around the corner.
My thoughts are that this means more competition within the lower price range market and more pressure on other mobile devices (whether it actualizes into a threat doesn't matter, the pressure is there).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
sub $300 and x86 looks nice in theory btu need to see some full specs, if ithey are low res or like the surface pro tablets have very little space left after operating system then what is the point

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I not the first student to see a promising future in these kinds of tablets, but what I'm most excited about is AMD take on tablets with Temash and turbo dock tech. If these two things can progress, then maybe Windows 8 isn't completely lost

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hmm, the article does not really confirm anything. And they did not mention the sub $300 price is for a full-blown Windows 8 OS. I suppose they meant it is for RT. At the current stage of Windows Store, I would say the RT device will not sell even at sub $300 price. If Microsoft is really serious about RT, they should start making apps for RT themselves instead of waiting for other developers. The fact is that most developers are not interested in RT, and many of them already have software running in x86 Windows so they feel no immediate need to write new app for the Metro environment. No apps, means no sales, no matter how cheap RT has become. Even if people buy a cheap $300 tablet, you can bet they are converting the OS to Android (like what happened to HP). Either MS should give up on RT, or start making effort to actually make some useful apps for it.

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
The most intersting aspect of the Windows minisaga is whether ANYONE, including Microsoft, releases Windows RT on any sub-10" device. If no one does, then that means Windows RT is dead. Actually, it's extremely doubtful an OEM would do this anyway, as only 3 are still in the Windows RT biz at all right now (besides Microsof themselves).
Furthermore, Microsoft would be insane to release a Surface Mini with WIndows RT if everyone else releases with Windows 8, because it would once again create chaotic confusion amongst consumers, who would once again be offered confusing options, and thereby elect to avoid the Windows mini category all together, unless that is, the OEMs spend massive amounts of money explaining why THEIR tablets are the ones people should be buying, and even that might not be enough if Microsoft themselves counter promote a Windows RT mini.

phungdiep

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I not the first student to see a promising future in these kinds of tablets, but what I'm most excited about is AMD take on tablets with Temash and turbo dock tech. If these two things can progress, then maybe Windows 8 isn't completely lost

----------------------------------------------
laptop gia re | laptop gia re

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
If it is still with a very bad eMMC SSD, the US $ 300 to be meaningless
If you wanted a really creditable Atom tablet, need to wait for Bay Trail Slides, will support SATA 2.0 (not 3.0) and USB 3.0. Also, 8 or 9 inches Windows 8 tablet would come soon. (Clover Trail Atom z2760 does not support SATA SSD and USB 3.0, but is a very bad eMMC SSD and USB 2.0 only)

timon_tablet

Honorable
May 15, 2013
If it is still with a very bad eMMC SSD, the US $ 300 to be meaningless
If you wanted a really creditable Atom tablet, need to wait for Bay Trail Slides, will support SATA 2.0 (not 3.0) and USB 3.0. Also, 8 or 9 inches Windows 8 tablet would come soon. (Clover Trail Atom z2760 does not support SATA SSD and USB 3.0, but is a very bad eMMC SSD and USB 2.0 only)

phungdiep

Honorable
May 10, 2013
I would only buy one if it were under $300 with an x86 or X64 processor. If it's ARM, then you might as well buy an Ipad or Android. <a href="http://laptopg7.vn/laptop/laptop+gia+re.html"><b>Laptop giá rẻ</b></a>

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Not sure what you meant by half-decent, but how about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Vivotab-Office-ME400C-C2-BK-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00CY9Q8AQ/ref=amtcd_B00CM1BN5G_B00CY9Q8AQ

No way we gonna get a $300 tablet running intel iCore CPU, cos even i5 costs $200 alone.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Well, iPad and Android tablets have even less space and they sells well. The idea of a mobile device is to have good enough space to accomodate a few key big applications and several small ones. If you need more space, you will need to connect it to an external HDD or uses sdcard or flash drive. Using a HDD means you have to be stationary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.