Asus crosshair equivalent for ATI cards

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Am I the only one hurting over the demise of RD600 and the gaping void it's leaving in my world? Ok ok I may be slightly exaggerating, there are worse things in life than the lack of one motherboard BUT I have been waiting to upgrade for a while (read 7 years, I still use a P3 coppermine, I know I know). I was really looking forward to a nice Asus motherboard with a nice chipset that would allow me to run an x1950xtx fine and add another one later in crossfire. RD600 is pretty much dead but Asus is releasing awesome boards like the crosshair. Think there is any chance they might at least make a crosshair with a RD580+SB600 or something? I don't really like the M2R32-MVP...

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The Asus M2R32-MVP is as good as it gets I think. ECS and MSI have similar board out but if you really want a good 3200 AM2 board I would want for the DFI one. I shouldnt take long since its been in the ATI motherboard catalog since June...

I wouldnt recommend you to rely on Crossfire in the long run, because if later on (say 6 months) youll have anotehr $500 to spend on graphics youll simply upgrade to a kicka$$ DX10 gaming card.

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
well I want an ATI based motherboard, I can't stand the texture noise generated by Nvidia cards, when I pay upwards of 500 bucks for a card I expect it to have perfect image quality, not crappy texture moire to boost performance. Anyway, don't want to go in a bashing war here, but I realise that the merger between ATI and AMD may put a serious damper on ATI chipsets ever making it to market and it looks like i'm S.O.L...

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
well don't expect any x1900 based card to be quiet thats for sure, if anything they could be louder, and with new generation of cards on the horizon no one know the noise and/or power of the new cards

Lottie

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
The example used above just shows the type of carnage DFI can do to ASUS.
ASUS screwed up their first ATi, RD580, A8R32-MVP. When it was fixed eventually it's still nowhere near the full potnetial of R580 shown&expected by DFI LANParty UT CFX3200 DR.

The same will happen to ASUS and RD600, they just aren't capable of designing top-notch AMD boards. DFI will totally eat them alive once again.

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
well don't expect any x1900 based card to be quiet thats for sure, if anything they could be louder, and with new generation of cards on the horizon no one know the noise and/or power of the new cards

lol, by noise I meant "texture noise", the weird artifacts that you see on the screen, not the sound generated by the card. My Armor LCS should allow me to use a VGA waterblock and get rid of the graphics card's fan.

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
The same will happen to ASUS and RD600, they just aren't capable of designing top-notch AMD boards. DFI will totally eat them alive once again.

Well according to rumors (grain of salt here, of course) DFI will be the ONLY company to make an RD600 board... I'm buying a cheap ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA so I can finally upgrade from my old P3 until a good "Crosshair grade" crossfire board comes on the market.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

lol, by noise I meant "texture noise", the weird artifacts that you see on the screen, not the sound generated by the card. My Armor LCS should allow me to use a VGA waterblock and get rid of the graphics card's fan.

that must have been limited to your card and your your display, nvidia is not not known for showing artifacts or anything, neither company is, if that happened it was a result of the card overheating from either a bad card or overclocking

theslave

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Well, I contacted DFI directly just last week and got an immediate response on this. They are definitely coming out with an RD600 motherboard, and they expect it to hit the retail chain "by/about November".

So, if you really wanted an ATI-based Intel motherboard with the latest features, you would have to wait until November for the DFI board. I know I'm waiting since I'm in no hurry.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
he Asus M2R32-MVP is as good as it gets I think.
Just to prove how strong SFI is, LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G just totally wasted the overpriced so-so M2N32-SLI as expected. 378Mhz @1134HTT

Anandtech only reached 322Mhz with their M2N32-SLI.

I meant as good as it gets right now on 26/09/06 lol

The DFI board will eat every other Express3200 board alive. But since it has been proven that there is no performance increase among the ATI and Nvidia chipsets these two boards (with the LANParty UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G) would only different (if DFI keeps up with the overclocking skills) in features and for dual-vga purposes.
The name for the board will be Lanparty UT CFX3200-M2.

All of you are formaly invited to comment on my future setup here. =]