[SOLVED] Asus crosshair vi hero and ryzen 3700x, unable to post.

Daylex

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
Hello, I need help with figuring out how to make the ryzen 3700x work on my Crosshair VI hero motherboard. I have 32gb 3000mhz g.skill ram. Whenever I start the pc the qled code is "8". Any ideas on what to do?

Solution
Did you use the bios flashback this time? I think these bios updates are supposed to get rid of compatibility for those old APU’s in favor of the new chips since there is only so much capacity on the bios chips. I’m wondering if using that APU to update the bios screwed something up with the bios flash. There has to be something screwy going on if I have 7106 working well on essentially the same motherboard.
Actually the product page for the X370 Crosshair shows version 6808 as "Update AGESA 0070 for the upcoming processors", so that version or newer would be required.

And since that board has Flashback, you don't need an existing compatible CPU to update.

Daylex

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
Still doesn't boot on the 3700x, qled shows different microcode related things. I know for a fact that Athlon runs, because I used it to update bios, after having problems with the 3700x posting. Athlon didn't run with two ram modules, only with one. Not sure if this is related to the 3700x, since reseating the sticks and running one module didn't make a difference.

I was looking at the cpu support list which shows 7002. Either way the newest bios rev 7201 is the way to go.

Agreed, and not relevant now I suppose since they ARE on 7201.

I would start by (After ensuring that no pins are bent, as mentioned by Remix) installing ONLY one memory module, in the A2 slot, and then do a hard reset as follows, WITH the 3700x installed at some point BEFORE you attempt to boot the machine after the hard reset. If it's currently installed, then it's fine. I wouldn't worry about thermal paste and such at the moment until it will at least start up with the 3700x and try to POST.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I have version 7106 working flawlessly on CH6 wifi with 3700x and 3600. Try hitting the safe boot button and see if it will post. If it does load UEFI defaults and see if that gets it to post consistently on a normal start up. I've had issues getting the CMOS to clear and this is how I got around it.

Last edited:

Daylex

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
Unfortunately, after resetting the cmos, it still doesn't post, and qled still shows microcode related issues. I checked the cpu, and all the pins are still straight and intact. Safe boot also doesn't change anything, besides showing a different qled code. Could it be like a faulty cpu or something? I don't think I have any way to find out right now.
Athlon works and my ryzen 1700 also worked, I have no idea what the problem could be.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Leave the 3700x installed and use the bios flashback to flash 7106. The file needs to be renamed when doing this. There will be a tool that does this for you in the zipped folder when you download the BIOS. Follow the instructions for using the Bios flashback in the manual. Its pretty simple. You turn on the psu with the motherboard powered off. Insert a usb stick with the renamed file into the usb 2 port marked bios flashback, hit the button, and let it do its thing.

Daylex

Commendable
Jul 29, 2017
Leave the 3700x installed and use the bios flashback to flash 7106. The file needs to be renamed when doing this. There will be a tool that does this for you in the zipped folder when you download the BIOS. Follow the instructions for using the Bios flashback in the manual. Its pretty simple. You turn on the psu with the motherboard powered off. Insert a usb stick with the renamed file into the usb 2 port marked bios flashback, hit the button, and let it do its thing.
Okay, It's almost 12pm where I live, so I'm gonna get some sleep and do it tomorrow to see if it works. Thank you for the help.

Reactions: rigg42
And if that fails, I would try, separately of course, each of the two previous BIOS versions. It's likely there is a problem with the microcode on the latest version when used with your board. IDK, anything is possible.

Could also be a faulty CPU. Not likely, but possible. We've seen more than one instance of somebody swapping heat spreaders on different CPUs or wrecking a CPU and returning it. Was the CPU packaging sealed/unopened when you bought it?

Last edited:
Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Did you use the bios flashback this time? I think these bios updates are supposed to get rid of compatibility for those old APU’s in favor of the new chips since there is only so much capacity on the bios chips. I’m wondering if using that APU to update the bios screwed something up with the bios flash. There has to be something screwy going on if I have 7106 working well on essentially the same motherboard.

Solution