[SOLVED] Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero & USB 2.0 Question

Oct 30, 2022
Greetings all.

I'm having an issue with a problem relating to polling rate on my 4000hz wireless mouse (Hati S Plus 4k). This particular mouse is known to have weird issues when plugged into any USB 3.x ports, and unfortunately, I am experiencing this issue. Obviously something I "could" do is use a different mouse, but I would much rather fix this problem and continue to use this new technology (better sensor, better polling, better click latency, etc).

Now, this mobo doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports, nor does my Lian Li OD11 case. Everything is usb 3.x. Is there any way I can add a USB 2.0 header or something I can do for this? Using USB Tree Finder, all of my USB controllers are USB 3.x. I don't know if the problem is related to the port itself or the controller itself, but I'd at least like to try adding a proper USB 2.0 port, but am not sure how to accomplish this. Using a USB hub is out of the question. Needs to be a USB 2 port with as little interference or wire as possible. What are my options? Thanks!

Solution
There aren't any. Well, there's one, but no guarantees it will work.

If you want to try a USB 2.0 PCIe expansion card, you can try that and there are still a FEW of them out there. Newegg has a couple. Don't see any at Amazon but I'm sure there must be. Also probably on Ebay. The problem with that is that old USB 2.0 expansion cards generally only have drivers for older Windows versions so whether they will work specifically in Windows 10 or 11 is a roll of the dice because you're not going to find manufacturer drivers for those OS versions. So that is pretty much your option. New mouse or try a USB 2.0 PCIe expansion card.

And I can't promise that it will even fix the problem because ALL USB and SATA ports use the same PCIe bus for...

If you want to try a USB 2.0 PCIe expansion card, you can try that and there are still a FEW of them out there. Newegg has a couple. Don't see any at Amazon but I'm sure there must be. Also probably on Ebay. The problem with that is that old USB 2.0 expansion cards generally only have drivers for older Windows versions so whether they will work specifically in Windows 10 or 11 is a roll of the dice because you're not going to find manufacturer drivers for those OS versions. So that is pretty much your option. New mouse or try a USB 2.0 PCIe expansion card.

And I can't promise that it will even fix the problem because ALL USB and SATA ports use the same PCIe bus for data and communication protocols so you really aren't changing anything. Now, if this is a driver related problem for your mouse not being supported over the USB 3.0 or newer protocol then adding a 2.0 expansion card MIGHT work, but again, only if the card itself works which will probably be entirely dependent on whether Windows has a native driver for the device or not.

Solution
Oct 30, 2022

And I can't promise that it will even fix the problem because ALL USB and SATA ports use the same PCIe bus for data and communication protocols so you really aren't changing anything. Now, if this is a driver related problem for your mouse not being supported over the USB 3.0 or newer protocol then adding a 2.0 expansion card MIGHT work, but again, only if the card itself works which will probably be entirely dependent on whether Windows has a native driver for the device or not.

thats what i figured, but thank you. hopefully the usb 2 to usb 3 adapter works. i've seen this before with other things (albeit rare). cheers

What do you mean "usb 2 to usb 3 adapter"? Never heard of such a thing because all USB ports are backwards compatible. Why would anybody create an adapter for something that the port itself does automatically? If that exists, it's like having a sock with six toes.

Oct 30, 2022
yea, i thought it was weird too, but its actually a usb c to usb 2 adapter, and it does not support USB3 speeds. Pretty odd. Probably wont work, but for $5, why not.

What do you mean "usb 2 to usb 3 adapter"? Never heard of such a thing because all USB ports are backwards compatible. Why would anybody create an adapter for something that the port itself does automatically? If that exists, it's like having a sock with six toes.

For five bucks, I'd agree, worth a shot. You can get the expansion cards for less than 20 bucks, so that might be worth it too if that thing doesn't work. Honestly I'd probably just find a different mouse as I'd have a hard time wanting to use something so poorly engineered that it won't work with the same bus that literally every other mouse works with.

Oct 30, 2022
For five bucks, I'd agree, worth a shot. You can get the expansion cards for less than 20 bucks, so that might be worth it too if that thing doesn't work. Honestly I'd probably just find a different mouse as I'd have a hard time wanting to use something so poorly engineered that it won't work with the same bus that literally every other mouse works with.

traditionally, i'd agree, but i'm using it for competitive fps, and frankly, it all boils down to shape (most important feature). I will swap if i must, but best case scenario would be to get it working since its perfect in every way except for this dumb issue. its sporadic, so when working properly, its god tier for my hand and grip. not sure what the problem is. early adopter issues. razer just dropped the same tech, but i absolutely hate the shape :(. it does work tho