Question ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula QVL Power Supplies

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Having built several PCs I like using Seasonic PSUs. I'm building a Ryzen 3950x with ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula and a 2070 Super GPU - wattage estimates are under 600 watts. Looking at the ASUS QVL for PSUs, the only Seasonics listed are 1200 and 1300 watts!!! Other PSUs on the QVL list are 600 watts and up.

Why would the only Seasonic units be ultra-high wattage versions?? I've planned on a Seasonic 850 watt Platinum 80 which is major overkill and was surprised to find this info on the QVL....this doesn't seem right...???

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
Still don't understand why ASUS has a QVL for power supplies...the QVL was pretty small. I'd never looked for PSUs on a QVL and only found this by accident.

In any case, the Seasonic 850 had all the cables to fully connect and power the MOBO - 24-pin plus the 8-pin and additional 4-pin power cables.

Let's be honest. QVL lists, whether for memory, or a power supply, or whatever, are 99% worthless. You are always better off matching specs OR in the case of the memory, going with what the memory manufacturer says is compatible, than you are wasting any time worrying about what a minimal selection of hardware testing has shown as compatible by the board manufacturer. Unless there is no other choice, and you have compatibility issues on your hands, the QVL list is just a waste of time to even bother reading.

Likely, in this case, the QVL was to establish models with the additional 4 pin EPS connector, and was likely only there for builds using some flavor of Ryzen 9 model because it is recommended to use the extra 4 pin with those while Ryzen 3, 5 and 7 models only really need that additional connector if you are trying to configure a substantial overclock.

Reactions: CountMike