[SOLVED] Asus crosshair viii hero wifi and USB front panel issues

Idan Cohen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Hi guys!

I have an Asus crosshair viii hero wifi, updated bios to 3401
and I own a phantek enthoo 719
Which has a few usb 3 ports on the front panel - 4 in total, which is 2 different cables(so each cable controls 2)

So I connect the cable to my motherboard, and for some reason - only one out of the 2 works. And it's the right one.
I saw someone at the Asus rog forums having the same issue, but there were no replies to his thread so I'm trying my luck here
Thanks!

Solution
So i have the exact same problem even going to Fractal (my case manufacturer) and getting a new panel. Turns out, the connector on the motherboard actually had bent/crushed pins even though the cable was seated. This presented in my instance as a USB port that could charge but not pass data signal.

Only when I replaced the panel and connect the new one did i realize the pins were bent. Regrettably it actually got worse when i tried to seat the connector, bending more pins.

Prior to this I’d literally never bent pins on a build so its making me wonder if there’s something wierd with the female cable end or the motherboard pinout itself.
Apr 20, 2021
So i have the exact same problem even going to Fractal (my case manufacturer) and getting a new panel. Turns out, the connector on the motherboard actually had bent/crushed pins even though the cable was seated. This presented in my instance as a USB port that could charge but not pass data signal.

Only when I replaced the panel and connect the new one did i realize the pins were bent. Regrettably it actually got worse when i tried to seat the connector, bending more pins.

Prior to this I’d literally never bent pins on a build so its making me wonder if there’s something wierd with the female cable end or the motherboard pinout itself.

Solution