Asus DDR board

G

I am waiting to build a system with an Asus A7M266 but does anyone now if Asus has plans for other DDR boards with chipsets from VIA and ALI. I know Chaintech has 3 upcoming DDR boards, one for each chipset(ALI, VIA, AMD).
I really don't like the idea of an AMD chipset since it's not their area of expertise. AMD said they made it because there aren't many DDR chipset to support their Athlon. Plus the Irongate wasn't very good(many bugs) and Micron just had a recall because of the AMD760. Anybody else has doubts about the 760. The Asus A7M266 might not be that bad.

A penny for your thoughts

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally, as ive said on this board a coupla times, im waiting to hear what comes out in the coming months. Im as anxious as anyone to upgrade, but with such new boards there are gonna be bugs, and ill wait for some benchmarks to come out so i can see some comparisons.
Yer not alone dood, many of us are waiting, but i think it behooves us to not rush in.
Also has anyone else noticed that the boards Asus and Iwill are making (the 2 i know about that have DDR boards nearly ready for ship, or ready) seem like a jumble of new and old. Are they 32 or 64 bit PCI...and some were possibly only going to have 4 or 5 PCI slots..my P2BF has 5+1, no reason they cant fix 6 on these new boards, and yeah i get the idea about putting standard SDRAM slots, i just think its a really stupid idea. Why buy these MBs if your trying to save your old ram..? I think im gonna wait and see if we can see some test results, and for someone, or better a few makers to put out boards that are truly next generation, not a hodgepodge.

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Micron just had a recall because of the AMD760." -

Micron's problems are in no way related to the AMD 760 except that the 760 is on that mobo. Gigabyte came out and said that it is 100% there fault and they have fixed the problem and that micron is testing the new mobo.

"Plus the Irongate wasn't very good(many bugs)" -

Yes the Irongate was not all that good but not because of bugs. It had kinda crapy features... old school. When there were bugs with the first Athlons it was (most of the time)the mobo manufactures fault.

soup.s

AMD for Life!