Asus Debuts Rampage III Extreme Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
This is a very nice looking board. But damn. Designs like this often leave me wondering why they do things that ruin some of it's elegance.

I really hate those 4-pin MOLEX connectors for the graphics cards right in the middle of the thing. It's nearly impossible to hide that wire. And what's with the PCI slot? With the board's 4 PCIe x16 slots clearly indicating this thing's obvious SLI or Crossfire capabilities, odds are it'll end up blocked by the 2nd video card in most builds anyway. Sticking the battery there doesn't seem too bright an idea, either.

God, by don't build a new Crosshair?, some people don't have enough money to a i7 rig or just prefer AMD builds (like me:))

Btw, the mobo looks very good and with support for the i7 six core, will be a killer mobo.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Myeh, if you want a serious mobo, take a look at the EVGA Classified SR-2 the the only thing more serious than this board is the case which you'll need in order to fit it in ;)

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I think this is more geared towards those that will use liquid cooling instead of large air cooling.

On a side note, there's a big red "Start" button and a black "Reset" button, and several inches below that the words "Go Button" =) Reminds me of seeing cars with random phrases across their windshields like "Velocity."

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I think this is more geared towards those that will use liquid cooling instead of large air cooling.

On a side note, there's a big red "Start" button and a black "Reset" button, and several inches below that the words "Go Button" =) Reminds me of seeing cars with random phrases across their windshields like "Velocity."

G

I'm sorry but all these "news" stories about specific products (and specifically the way they are written) makes it blatantly clear that Tom's is being paid for these "stories".

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]I'm sorry but all these "news" stories about specific products (and specifically the way they are written) makes it blatantly clear that Tom's is being paid for these "stories".[/citation]

What are you talking about? This is obviously a legitimate review of a great product....

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]ivan_chess[/nom]That is an awesome looking board but does it need TWO 8-pin ATX connectors or am I seeing it wrong?[/citation]
I dunno if it needs them, but it's got them...
Dual 8-pin power connectors and two 4-pin Molex plugs furnish CPU and GPU with ample room
I only see one 4-pin MOLEX just above the 1st PCIe slot. Where's the 2nd?

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]I dunno if it needs them, but it's got them...I only see one 4-pin MOLEX just above the 1st PCIe slot. Where's the 2nd?[/citation]

The second one is on the left side of the bottom edge at 90 degrees.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
heatsinks don't look like heatsinks anymore! now it makes me think that ANY design with fins will have "EXTREME COOLING PERFORMANCE" :\ despite knowing that in most pure engineering cases efficient design will be ugly..
still a good looking board though :)

Gian124

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]I'm sorry but all these "news" stories about specific products (and specifically the way they are written) makes it blatantly clear that Tom's is being paid for these "stories".[/citation]

This board was reviewed on many cites, and a full video has been up for a while. Tom's is piggy-backing on the reviews as these "official pics" were recently released, though ones from the tradeshow floor have been around for a while. Google it and you'll see a plethora of reviews and info.

The one thing odd is the release date. In the video from the tradeshow floor, the marketing rep said this board would be released to coincide with the Gulftown / Westmere processor. Core i7 980x is available, and there is zero mention of a release date STILL on this board. Odd that Intel drops a bomb, Asus promised a board to support it... then nothing but crickets from Asus about R3E once the chips are available through online retailers, etc.... Maybe once Fermi Ships?... who knows. It just seems they'd want to get this board out and benchmark the hell out of 980x since this targets the same audience.

Lutfij

Titan
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsome! still thinking of getting this board or the maximus III formula - though the price is still quiet steep - thinking of settling into an AMD 3 build with the crosshair III formula - lol - still going to be a ROG board :D

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
wtf is with the molex above the pci-e slot!? Don't they know how irritating it is to route a cable there? Anyone who cares about cable management will cringe when they see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS