ASUS DSL-N55U Ethernet WAN not working on BT Fibre

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
I have recently switched network providers to BT, with fibre to the box and copper into the house. I previously used a Sky router downstairs, with an Ethernet into a TP-Link power line adapter, then into a power line upstairs plugged straight into my N600's Ethernet WAN port. This worked great, and even worked when I switched over, but when I unplugged the router to move it, it failed to function again.

I got rid of the power line adapter and plugged directly into the new BT SuperHub 5 (I believe) and factory reset the N600. I then tried through Quick Setup, which didn't work, and through advanced settings, on both single Ethernet WAN and Dual WAN configurations. I have enabled PPPoE in the settings, as well as using the username 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' with BT as the password. I also set another setting (I've forgotten it's name) to 101 as another forum post from another user recommended. Following all these steps, I have still been unable to get internet from my N600, it doesn't even seem to recognize an Ethernet WAN cable is connected. Please note, when the Ethernet WAN cable is plugged in, the ADSL WAN light on my router does light up and flickers (indicating activity I believe) but there is still no internet connection.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated in the matter, as I need QoS ASAP!

Solution

Trouble shoot it with only your pc plugged in.
Do the factory reset and make sure you are getting an ip.
Then try and change the IP range and the ASUS web interface.
192.168.2.0/24 and use 192.168.2.1 as the web interface/gateway

If after a factory reset and nothing works to get it providing ips or accessing it. Then it may have broken.
Are you going LAN->WAN port on the 2nd router? set dns to 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) if it's not pulling one. if that's the issue then you need to find a low latency dns. If your first router is pulling your isp's and you want that then copy it over.

If they are LAN->LAN the 2nd one needs to have DHCP turned off.

Try pinging those addresses. If the pings don't go through it's probably not DNS related.

Try and do a trace route to the first routers gateway. Is your 2nd router's WAN interface set to receive it's ip via DHCP? If it's set for a static the first routers DHCP lease may not allow it. The DHCP will also set the gateway properly.

Apr 22, 2018
Yeah I will try that. I just noticed that the ethernet port on the BT router isn't shown as connected in the BT web interface despite the ADSL WAN activity light on my Asus router. Its not to do with the ethernet cable or the port I've used, I've tried using know working ones already.

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Hello, I ran the trace route to google.com, here are the results copied directly from command prompt:

Tracing route to google.com [2a00:1450:4009:806::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 4 ms 10 ms broadband.bt.com [2a00:23c4:5ef9:f000:5a90:43ff:fed9:41ed]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * 11 ms 10 ms 2a00:2302::1102:100:36
4 16 ms 14 ms 16 ms 2a00:2302::1102:100:37
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms peer1-et7-1-0.redbus.ukcore.bt.net [2a00:2380:14::29]
7 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 2a00:2380:2010:1000::d
8 15 ms 12 ms 12 ms 2001:4860:0:135d::1
9 12 ms 17 ms 12 ms 2001:4860:0:1::1a57
10 15 ms 11 ms 11 ms lhr35s05-in-x0e.1e100.net [2a00:1450:4009:806::200e]

Trace complete.

The WAN interface was set for Automatic IP to begin with, before after viewing a few forum threads I set it to PPPoE with the BT address (bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password) and a VLAN ID of 101. Neither PPPoE nor Automatic IP have successfully given internet.

If you created a separate VLAN on the first router then that brings more factors into play. I wouldn't recommend that.
It might not be setting up routing and pass rules for you so packets can move from the VLAN gateway out to the LAN gateway with the NAT and then to the WAN. the separate VLAN would also need it's own DHCP server.

If it's VLAN capable make sure the physical interface is apart of the LAN of the first router. If it's not being used that could explain why nothing happens when it's plugged in.

The ASUS router's WAN interface should be taking an ip like any other device you plug in.

In the ASUS WAN it's set to get ip via DHCP right?

Do a test on the first router by plugging your pc into it and writing down the IP it receives and make sure the internet works. The subnet should be the same each time. 192.168.1.x or what ever you have.

What's the IP range the first router is using and what's the ip range for the 2nd router?

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Yes, It's set to DHCP.

The first router is assigning IP addresses perfectly fine to all of my devices. I can see each IP within the control panel. As for the asus router, it states it's a static 192.168.1.1 IP in the first router's web interface.

As for the IP range, the first router is set to 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, I can't see the second router's IP range as there is no option inside the web interface.

Is 245 your web interface on the first router? Somehow the ASUS got a static ip. Make sure 1.1 isn't your first routers gateway.

Under your LAN on the ASUS is there a DHCP server somewhere? That's where you will pick the ip range.
Unplug the WAN side of the ASUS and plug your PC into the LAN. Let me know what ip it has.

I just read that nearly all ASUS routers use 192.168.1.1 as their gateway.

1. Your first router is going into a LAN port of the ASUS, which is why it's showing 192.168.1.1.
Even if it's labeled WAN it could of been reallocated to LAN if it was being used as a WAP.
If you're computer plugged into the first router can navigate to 192.168.1.1 ASUS web interface then it's def not a nested router.

2. You're first router is assigning 192.168.1.1 to the ASUS router's WAN interface. The ASUS router is also trying to use this as it's LAN gateway which is why nothing works. Fixing this would require one of your router's to change it's subnet to 192.168.2.0/24 and also changing it's web interface IP to be in that new subnet.

henryjamesguest

Prominent
Apr 21, 2018
Nope, first routers gateway it 192.168.1.254. I'm not sure why it's set to static, It's set to Automatic IP within the Asus web interface. All of a sudden, the asus router just flat isn't responding when I try to access the web interface, either over ethernet or wireless.

Is this happening when nothing is plugged into the WAN? Only your PC in one of the LAN ports?
If your PC doesn't get an IP in one of the LAN ports. Then DHCP probably isn't on.

If you get an IP after plugging the 1st router into the WAN port of the ASUS then it's probably actually a LAN port.
A factory reset on the ASUS might get it back into router mode. This won't resolve the fact that they are on the same subnet.

Trouble shoot it with only your pc plugged in.
Do the factory reset and make sure you are getting an ip.
Then try and change the IP range and the ASUS web interface.
192.168.2.0/24 and use 192.168.2.1 as the web interface/gateway

If after a factory reset and nothing works to get it providing ips or accessing it. Then it may have broken.

Solution