Question ASUS dual CPU mothermboard not posting HELP

Dec 8, 2020
Hi dear all ,
I've got my hands on a ASUS server board (kgpe d16) dual socket operon chipset (g34 socket) when I try to boot up the system there is no post , nothing , the fan speeds up and the CPUs reach high temperature, I tried changing the CPUs ( I've got 4 of these opterons both couple compatible) Also tried with only two sticks of ram for CPU according to ASUS guide and selected the right voltage jumper on the board , also changed the bios clock battery and cleared the CMOS, but still not posting.
I think that the PSU could be the problem because of the connector of this board ( 24 pin + 2x8 cpu pins ) I used an adapter for 2x4 cpu pins, tommorow btw I'll go to my local it shop asking them ro try with theire psu .
Any thoughts ?
Thanks to you all

kanewolf

Titan
Hi dear all ,
I've got my hands on a ASUS server board (kgpe d16) dual socket operon chipset (g34 socket) when I try to boot up the system there is no post , nothing , the fan speeds up and the CPUs reach high temperature, I tried changing the CPUs ( I've got 4 of these opterons both couple compatible) Also tried with only two sticks of ram for CPU according to ASUS guide and selected the right voltage jumper on the board , also changed the bios clock battery and cleared the CMOS, but still not posting.
I think that the PSU could be the problem because of the connector of this board ( 24 pin + 2x8 cpu pins ) I used an adapter for 2x4 cpu pins, tommorow btw I'll go to my local it shop asking them ro try with theire psu .
Any thoughts ?
Thanks to you all
Is the ASMB4 management board installed ?
Do the CPU LEDs light up ?
Server motherboards are also much more finicky about fans. Ensure you have all the REQUIRED fans connected and reporting RPMs.
Which CPUs do you have 61xx, 62xx or 63xx CPUs? There are different BIOS requirements.

Dec 8, 2020
Is the ASMB4 management board installed ?
Do the CPU LEDs light up ?
Server motherboards are also much more finicky about fans. Ensure you have all the REQUIRED fans connected and reporting RPMs.
Which CPUs do you have 61xx, 62xx or 63xx CPUs? There are different BIOS requirements.
Hi ,
Yes the ASMB4 board is installed and the relative light blinks , the cpu leds are off I've tried with 6234 operons (the right bios for that would be already installed ) and also 6170 (these are now are installed )I've connected two fans but I don't thinks that is the problem since in the service manual of the board of says that if the rpm sensor is not reading the system will work but have full speed fans running

kanewolf

Titan
Hi ,
Yes the ASMB4 board is installed and the relative light blinks , the cpu leds are off I've tried with 6234 operons (the right bios for that would be already installed ) and also 6170 (these are now are installed )I've connected two fans but I don't thinks that is the problem since in the service manual of the board of says that if the rpm sensor is not reading the system will work but have full speed fans running
Since you have the ASMB4 installed, have you tried to connect to it, to see if you can get any insight?

Dec 8, 2020
UPDATE : i successfully entered the bios removing one of the two cpu and ran the system in 1 cpu mode i restored defaults and enabled the second CPU, i tested all my 4 cpus but no luckt trying to start with a 2 cpu config .... still thinking the PSU may be the couse, i tested it with a multimeter while the system was powered and all the 12 volts cables stay at the right voltage , also my second cpu fan doesn't have the speed sensor so i tried to hack it wiring the first speed fan pin of CPU1 with the CPU2 fan speed control pin, but still no luck....