[SOLVED] ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1650 MINI OC edition

Aug 1, 2020
Hi Guys,

My current PC build is:
AMD Phenom ii x6 1090T @4.1Ghz
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 (with PCIe 2.0 x16 slots)
PowerColor Radeon RX550 4GB
Corsair 16G DDR3 1600Mhz
CM 650W SMPS

I have recently upgraded my graphics card but somehow I am not satisfied with its performance. Just wanted to check if it can be replaced with below card:
ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1650 MINI OC edition - link: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/DUAL-GTX1650-O4GD6-MINI/

If not, please suggest an alternate best suitable card which won't bottleneck with my CPU. OR you think if RX 550 is the best match I can have.

Solution
It means your CPU is on the smaller side of things and will hamper modern graphics cards to unleash their full potential. You will be fine with either choice, just do not expect to match benchmark scores.
Aug 1, 2020
You will get more performance, but your cpu will bottleneck that gpu.

Thanks for your reply but I don't really understand what bottleneck means and does.

I primarily play CSGO. Most people say it is CPU hungry game rather than GPU but I've observed it does require a good GPU as well. Also I'd like to play GTA or Valorant in near future.

Tried doing some research but all I found bottleneck bottleneck everywhere.

If I install newer GPU like GTX 1650 super, mini (link in op) or RX 5500 XT, will it lower my CPU performance? I am absolutely okay with new GPU not performing on par with other PCs with latest processor.

Which 4GB card should I go for, GTX 1650 Super, GTX 1650 Mini OC (Recently launched, Link in 1st post), RX 5500 XT?

Sep 13, 2020
It means your CPU is on the smaller side of things and will hamper modern graphics cards to unleash their full potential. You will be fine with either choice, just do not expect to match benchmark scores.

Solution
Aug 22, 2020
Got it.. That's exactly I wanted to know.

Thanks!
Ok yeah considering how old your cpu is. You might want to upgrade to a newer motherboard and cpu to run your gpu at full power. Your current cpu. The AMD Phenom II is like a AM3 OR AM2+ style cpu. I would recommend like a B450 style motherboard and a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu. it would run alot cooler due to the lower NM rating and it would be much more efficent.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"bottleneck" is simply the term to describe the weaker part in a given scenario. your cpu tells the gpu to draw something and it does.

if the cpu is stronger than the gpu, then it can ask for more than the gpu can handle. therefore, the gpu is the "bottleneck" since the cpu will be waiting for the gpu to finish before it can send the next instruction.

flip it around with a stronger gpu and it will easily be able to do what the cpu asks of it. so now the cpu is running flat out asking for the gpu to do stuff while the gpu does it no sweat and ends up waiting for the cpu to send it more work to do. now the cpu is the "bottleneck".

it is impossible to prevent one or the other being the bottleneck no matter how strong either is. some games are more cpu heavy while others are more gpu heavy, so the "bottleneck" actually switches back and forth depending on the workload. having a strong gpu does not slow down performance, rather it just can't do all it can since the weaker cpu won't be able to give it enough work to do.

considering the age of your system, i'd buy as strong of a gpu now as you can. then once you've saved up the cash, you can upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram and not worry about having too weak of a gpu. then down the line you can upgrade the gpu again and so on and so on. i've done it this way for a long time to spread out the costs since the gpu is usually the most expensive part. this way i am rarely way behind on both cpu and gpu generations and have a nice upgrade cycle that never gets too expensive.

Reactions: AmeyK