News Asus Dual GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Hits Retailers With SSD Slot, Premium Pricing

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
In the prototype, we saw the extra bandwidth afforded dual M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 x4 slots. However, the blurb accompanying the release version of the Asus Dual GeForce RTX 4060 Ti OC Edition 8GB with M.2 SSD hints that there is “a” singular slot for extra storage.
Probably for compatibility reasons. 'Basic' bifurcation from x16 to x8/x8 is now pretty widespread across both vendors (as recently as the Z1xx series that was a feature that may only be seen with certain vendors, certain SKUs, and sometimes only with specific BIOS versions). However, 'double bifurcation' of x16 to x8/x4/x4 is not as widely available. x8/x8 can drop down to x8/x4 with no further configuration, so an x8 GPU & x4 drive slot has the lowest chance of encountering compatibility issues.

Probably for compatibility reasons. 'Basic' bifurcation from x16 to x8/x8 is now pretty widespread across both vendors (as recently as the Z1xx series that was a feature that may only be seen with certain vendors, certain SKUs, and sometimes only with specific BIOS versions). However, 'double bifurcation' of x16 to x8/x4/x4 is not as widely available. x8/x8 can drop down to x8/x4 with no further configuration, so an x8 GPU & x4 drive slot has the lowest chance of encountering compatibility issues.
This is absolutely the reason as Intel client platforms do not support x4 bifurcation so if they wanted 2 they'd have had to put a PCIe switch on the board. Though in all fairness that would have justified the increased cost.

Reactions: thisisaname

froggx

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Interesting idea, but not sure on the field if it would actually get any performance gains by doing this.
Seems like more of a "here you go, an extra slot for an M.2 PCIe 5.0 x4 SSD" kind of thing than a performance feature. PCIe 5.0 SSDs don't seem to offer much advantage in most applications yet but future proofing is never a bad idea. Most motherboards I've seen either only have a single M.2 PCIe 5.0 slot or only support PCIe 5.0 over the x16 slot that tends to be taken by the GPU.

Personally, I would love to have another M.2 slot regardless of PCIe spec. I've got a couple 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSDs I'd like to use for additional game storage since they trounce my SATA disk, but I can't cause all my M.2 slots are already occupied.

Co BIY

Splendid
A real innovation and one many may actually take advantage of.

Who doesn't have a few M.2 SSDs laying around that you think should be in use rather than reminding you of the extremely rapid depreciation and deprecation of "Top of the Line" hardware.

ManDaddio

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
A lot of people like to delve into the negative immediately when innovative things are revealed.

This may seem like something sillier that people don't need but in fact it may be just what the doctor ordered for people who have no m.2 slots on their motherboard or only have one or two from older motherboards.

Everybody's crying about faster storage. Here's a way to either get some or add some. And at the same time you can upgrade your video card.

Despite what people say 8 GB is going to be fine for a while still for 1080p gaming. And some people just use the GPU for content creation or other business stuff where they might need extra storage.

It would be interesting to be able to test this against the m.2 drives that are attached to the motherboard directly. Is this faster or is there way more latency?

Reactions: King_V
but not sure on the field if it would actually get any performance gains by doing this.
there wouldnt be any gains.

m.2 speeds are very fast but compared to GDDR6X? massively slower.

gpu memory is extremely fast. system ram is worse (why you feel the hit to performance once u have to use it) & storage (even fastest around) is slower than that.

its literally just giving you more m.2 storage to make use of bandwidth you arent using.

Reactions: King_V

t3t4

Proper
Sep 5, 2023
While I have no real interest in a 4060 anything from anyone, I do think the addition of a spare M.2 is a good idea, if properly located. Price gouging aside, this could be very useful to some folks.

Reactions: thisisaname

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
I wonder if this is tied to the new direct storage thing ? if a GPU can read directly assets on the SSD whithout using the CPU, this storage may as well be as much closer as possible to the GPU.

this way it's even more efficient since there is no need to pass data through the main PCIe bus or through the southbridge

if it's true, future GPU's will all have an M2 slot or two for the high tier cards (with some silicon on the GPU dedicated as a raid controller maybe ?)

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
This card is aimed at SFF machines , Mini ITX motherboards where there are no extra slots and only one M2 slot and most of the time at te rear of the motherboard.

This product is just like SFX powersupplies , not for every one but for sure a MUST for SFF machines .

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakanyshu

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Long live Best Buy!
We the consumers need to start blacklisting any and all retailers that engage in these needless markups on cool products.

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
the problem is putting all the eggs in the same basket, when one part fail, a few things derail

a relatively well designed mobo is enough, check the specs and layout thats all

a gpu is a gpu, im not mixing up and ssd on top of it, just for practicality or speed