i ran some test to stress the gpu

on load was 90c

the gpu was dirty, and thermal paste was dry

i cleaned the gpu and with noctua paste and runs on load max 80c

the only thing i cannot change was the thermal pad, i dont have any new

so my temps are ok?

idle 31c
load maX 80S
will changing the pad will decrease the temps?

i have a gtx 1660 and on load the temps are like 70sc

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PLEASE STOP.
Pad changes should be done as a last resort: downright terrible memory junction temperatures, or the gpu is out of warranty and you can afford to buy a new gpu.
If you don't get it right, it can lead to worse core or memory temperatures or a damaged PCB. You will more or less be on your own trying to figure out which pads to use, or resolve any issues that arise, due to how few folks actually tinker with this.

Pad depth is not enough to go on. The preinstalled and retail pads all come in varying degrees of hardness, which is usually where the pad change problems stem from. How hard/soft the new pads should be is an unknown.
You are then left hoping someone, who has already swapped pads successfully on your specific model of gpu, replies in a timely manner... due to how niche this task is, you could end up stuck.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
so i have a Asus Dual OC Rtx 3060 12gb

i cleaned and installed new thermal pads the old ones were chewed
idle: 29-33
i used noctua paste, but playing ff7 remake the temps were 88c
is it normal?
i have to ramp up the fans to 77%

my old evga gtx 1660 max temp was 70c
i have a picture of the readings:

https://ibb.co/NKp6fpD

It certainly is a hotter gpu than the gtx 1660 but 88C is a bit elevated. Which case are you using and how many fans? Ambient temps and airflow are crucial for any air cooling device. Also applying too much paste on the chip could result in opposite results by creating a temp insulating film between the chip and the block.

Depending on the rest i mentioned like airflow and ambient temps, but not really as most rtx30xx series hit high temps either way. Do not open the card if you don't have to. If you know you have not applied fairly more than you should of the paste, then it is what it is. Also thermal pads won't change anything in core temps

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
90C is the thermal limit for the gpu core, with the hot spot being around 110C or higher.

It was not necessary to proceed any further after card was cleaned and the paste redone. I warned about this at post #9.
It should've been left alone, even if it looked rough. Now you've gone and fallen into the thermal pad trap.
To get out of said trap, you will have to try different sets of pads until you get gpu core and hotspot back to what they were before, and even then, it might not be OK, as memory junction readings aren't available for RTX 3060 on either Gpu-Z nor hwinfo.
Like that, you can't tell if the memory is running too hot or not.

Blos88

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
so after cleaning,changing the thermal pad,buying good good fans for airflow, i have 6 noctua now, i decided to update the bios of the rtx 3060 asus dual oc
i used the official update from asus, and then i decided to play a while, and my temps are much lower than before.

before the update: max 80-83c
after the update: 60-65c

thats a huge drop
the only game that stress my rig is cyberpunk,but with still good temps
before that i used a custom profile on afterburner with:

837mv with stock frequency and boost with no problems and good temps max 67-70c

if anyone has this card and is having high temps with this gpu try to update the bios, so far no problems

i will insert a picture of gpu-z with my bios:

if u dont use the auto update from asus be sure to check the exact model of your gpu and do a backup,u can do it with gpu-z

gpu-z
https://ibb.co/wJz7fnT

Reactions: GeerXg
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS