Question Asus Dual RTX 4070 boosting higher than expected

Jul 28, 2023
I brought a Asus Dual RTX 4070 (non-OC version) recently. One of the reasons why I purchased the non-overlocked version is because of temperatures in my small form factor case, I was thinking I didn’t want it to boost too much for the air flow to get to hot in the case. So, the reason of this post is that when I play my games, according to the OSD in GPU Tweak III I see it boost to slightly over 2700mhz and often maintaining between 2600mhz too 2700mhz. I actually don’t have any issues with this because the temps are fine, and my system runs nice and stable, but what I don’t understand is according to Asus’ website this card has a default boost mode of 2475mhz, OC boost mode of 2505mhz. The OC version of this card according to Asus’ website has default mode of 2520mhz and OC mode of 2550mhz. Would anyone have any ideas to why it’s boosting high? Would the readings be false, or is the Nvidia drivers, or maybe I’ve got a card with a good chipset? I would be interested to know if anyone has noticed this.

Please provide FULL and complete PC specs first.

What you are referring to appears to be related to the "GPU Boost" technology by Nvidia, regarding the clock behavior.

GPU Boost tech enables graphics cards to automatically boost their clock speeds beyond the base clock speed in order to improve performance, and also allows the card to boost much higher than the advertised “Boost Clock” that may be listed on the box or on the product page, until the card hits a pre-determined power or temperature limit.

It works by monitoring temperature, power usage, and workload on the GPU and altering clock speed accordingly for optimal efficiency within safe thermal and power limits.

Nothing wrong with your GPU. This is normal behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Jul 28, 2023
Please provide FULL and complete PC specs first.

What you are referring to appears to be related to the "GPU Boost" technology by Nvidia, regarding the clock behavior, IMO.

GPU Boost tech enables graphics cards to automatically boost their clock speeds beyond the base clock speed in order to improve performance, and also allows the card to boost much higher than the advertised “Boost Clock” that may be listed on the box or on the product page, until the card hits a pre-determined power or temperature limit.

It works by monitoring temperature, power usage, and workload on the GPU and altering clock speed accordingly for optimal efficiency within safe thermal and power limits.
Thanks for that, that explains what's happening. So, the readings will be accurate. It’s amazing how much higher over the advertised boost clock it goes. It's a brilliant GPU and I've been getting slightly higher fames rates than I was expecting too.

My PC specs are:-
i5 13600kf
Asus ROG B760i
32GB g.skill DDR5 5600mhz
2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB drives
Windows 11

Jul 28, 2023
It's a Deepcool DQ650-M-V2L 650W. I was ordinally planning on getting the RTX 4060 TI 16GB but when I saw the 4070 not being that much more expensive and is faster it looked like a better buy. I'm happy with it, and it plays all my games smoothy on my 2k monitor

Video cards don't really have a maximum clock speed per se. They just clock as hard as they can until some sort of limit is reached. The advertised boost clock speed is just to throw a number around. Though you could probably use it to say your card is defective if it can't reach it period.

Yeah. To be honest I have never paid any attention to the advertised clock speeds of any GPU, be it OC variant or non-OC. These are just marketing numbers.

I just buy the GPU which is within my budget and is sufficient for my gaming needs.