Question ASUS DUAL RX580-O8G gives black screen running games but not when running benchmarking software ?

Feb 3, 2021
Hi everyone, I've benefitted so much over the years using the site and scrolling through different threads but unfortunately it hasn't helped this problem.

Late last year I bought an ASUS Dual RX580-O8G (while the name is dual it is just 1 gpu, I've seen people get confused over it) and installed it in my old build. I used DDU to clean the drivers and did everything how it should be for installing a new GPU. It seemed to run perfectly apart from after an hour or so of playing WoW or Overwatch the card itself would seem to crash. The fans would stop but the rest of the PC would be running. The display would also disappear as if I had taken out the HDMI cables. This would need a hard reset to get back on. Interestingly in WoW I noticed it would happen in certain dungeons though it could also happen randomly. I then replaced the PSU from an old (7 years) Corsair CX500M to a Corsair TX-M 650w. This seemed to fix the issues with the card crashing in WoW and Overwatch however when I would run Pumpkin Jack it would still crash.

The rest of my PC was due an upgrade and so I've done just that making a fresh build from everything apart from the recently purchased GPU, PSU, SSD and HDD. Nonetheless the problem persists. I've tried countless fixes including reinstalling graphics drivers, updating the bios and making sure I have all of the motherboard drivers, increasing RAM speed (it was running at 2133mhz instead of 3200mhz), reseating the GPU, changing the PSU connector, changing HDMI cables. Still in the new system it seems to run WoW and Overwatch well and it hasn't crashed on them though I haven't been on them much in the last week since I built the new PC. The games I have tried that its crashed on has been The Medium which I'm not too surprised since its a tough game for it to run and also The Outer Worlds which surely it should be fine with. It will typically crash on these games within 1-10 minutes. I've also ran UserBenchmark which crashed due to some interference with Nahimic which I was able to resolve and also Heaven which ran perfectly.

I'm currently trying to go through the RMA process with Amazon/ASUS but they're both being difficult about it. I'm hoping there is a fix that I have missed as the prices have again surged and its near impossible to find a GPU that would fit my budget that has the same power.

Old system specs:

CPU: FX-8320
GPU: ASUS Dual RX580-O8G
PSU: Corsair TX-M 650w
RAM: 1x8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866mhz
Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming

New system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3600
GPU: ASUS Dual RX580-O8G
PSU: Corsair TX-M 650w
RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz
Mobo: MSI B450 Carbon Max WiFi

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Feb 3, 2021
Update: Last night I tried both undervolting the card and increasing the performance by 50%. This allowed me to get about 20 minutes of play time in on The Outer Worlds before it crashed again. I also remember that in my old system it would crash specifically in WoW if I was in 'De Other Side' dungeon. Whereas in other games it seems to be random.

I have used task manager to keep an eye on GPU usage when playing games and on WoW and Overwatch it seems to not go above 60% but in the other games I've tried its at 100% consistently. Not sure if its somehow struggling to maintain performance under full load and instead shuts down.

Feb 3, 2021
Did you find any solution?
Still need to run more games to keep testing but I think I've found a fix for the issues I had. Went through DDU and reinstalling drivers again but also changed the GPU into the second pcie slot. Since then I've ran No Man's Sky several times (once for 3 hours) and had no crashes.

Stopped making any changes in the radeon software and reconnected my second screen today to see if that would cause any problems but none to report.

No idea why it would crash in the first slot and not the second though.

May 11, 2021
Still need to run more games to keep testing but I think I've found a fix for the issues I had. Went through DDU and reinstalling drivers again but also changed the GPU into the second pcie slot. Since then I've ran No Man's Sky several times (once for 3 hours) and had no crashes.

Stopped making any changes in the radeon software and reconnected my second screen today to see if that would cause any problems but none to report.

No idea why it would crash in the first slot and not the second though.
if u have find the solver, reply me bro, im so suffered

Feb 3, 2021
if u have find the solver, reply me bro, im so suffered
Hey man,

I borrowed a friends 1060 and then used DDU put the 580 back in and undervolted the card. It then just started working and I've been able to remove the undervolt. I haven't done any of the updates since it started working and its been nearly 2 months. I do need to test more games but have ran about 8 or so games that have ran well and with no crashes.

May 11, 2021
Hey man,

I borrowed a friends 1060 and then used DDU put the 580 back in and undervolted the card. It then just started working and I've been able to remove the undervolt. I haven't done any of the updates since it started working and its been nearly 2 months. I do need to test more games but have ran about 8 or so games that have ran well and with no crashes.
what you mean undervolted? and how to do it?