Asus Eee Box PCs Come Loaded With a Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
D'Oh. Sounds like someone used their own personal thumbdrive to copy data to the machine they based the release image on. I would think that any machine built specifically to browse the internet using Windows should come with a basic anti-virus pre-installed. I doubt the Atom could handle Norton or McAfee, but there are other ones out there. Heck, I manually scan my Cloudbook with Avast! for Linux just for kicks.

G

I have run into two instances of malware that use autorun.inf to launch within the space of two weeks. On the face of it, autorun is turning out to be a really dumb (insecure) idea. The way it's implemented, Windows does not even differentiate between removable and non removable drives. I have been searching for a simple, easy way to just turn autorun off without succes. How long will it be before Microsoft release a patch to fix this? Score 1 for open source/linux. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) on my laptop so I don't have malware issues. The malware I have encountered is on other systems that friends have asked me to clean up.

Status
Not open for further replies.