Question asus eee pc x101ch CPU heat dissipation question.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Hi. I am waiting to receive a new ebook, more precisely an ASUS Eee pc X101CH. I was reading about how this fanless laptop/netbook do to cool down it's CPU. For what I saw, the chip touches a metal sheet in the lower case to help spread the heat, and reviews speak of temps between 30 and 60 degrees Celsius. Obviously, I'll get rid of the HDD and replace it for an SSD, which can reduce some degree. But, thinking about the CPU cooling method, I thought about using a thermal pad to help the metal sheet to do it's work. Thickness is something to worry ABOUT (I'd see a german guy showing a destroyed GPU chip, caused by a too thick thermal pad), but... Should I spect to have such type of issues if I use a thicker thermal pad instead of one of the EXACT thickness over a CPU chip? I say this because the cpu chip is far from the edges for a caliber to be used, so I cannot measure the space between it and the surface of the case, and do choose the EXACT size of the pad.

Thanks in anticipation.

Solution
Again, 60C is nothing to worry about.

Get the thing, use it for what you will, see what happens.

If you see it start to go north of 90C, then take action.

I've had a couple of Asus transformers, T101HA and similar.
Never ever had a temperature issue. Then again, I never tried to "game" on the little things.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
I have read reviews about this little pc, but I cannot o remember where I did read the temps report, probably a Linux forum (the people there spoke about bypassing some code that controls shutdown, or something like that). I will use it with Ms Word, with Winamp in the background, and, maybe some very light gaming like Mame, GZDoom, or, if I go crazy, Unreal (my Acer aspire one and my Samsung N145 can handle those games, even with eye candy ON without getting very hot; also, I have been said here in THF that 60 degrees are not something to be worried about, but, of course, those netbook have proper fans/blowers to cool down the cpu). 😊

USAFRet

Titan
Again, 60C is nothing to worry about.

Get the thing, use it for what you will, see what happens.

If you see it start to go north of 90C, then take action.

I've had a couple of Asus transformers, T101HA and similar.
Never ever had a temperature issue. Then again, I never tried to "game" on the little things.

Solution