Asus EN8800GT ... mine looks nothing like the pictures online

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
EDIT::::: after Digital dragon posted::::::

Okay so the only issue I am having right now is that I can not read the temperature on the card. I get 0 degrees celsius in nvidia monitor, rivatuner and no option to view temperatures in the ASUS smart doctor. Yes it seems like I have a new version of the card as seen here: http://www.apocalypsecow.de/images/ASUS_8800GT_2.jpg

So yeah. The card works great in games.. just I would like to know the temperature because it would be sad if for some reason the fan were stuck at a low speed or something dumb.

/ END EDIT

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=442&l4=0&model=1918&modelmenu=1

alright so I bought an Asus 8800GT 512 meg GPU..

and it looks nothing like on the website!

EDIT THIS IS WHAT MY CARD LOOKS LIKE changed this after a few replies:
http://www.apocalypsecow.de/images/ASUS_8800GT_2.jpg

but the card itself is huge like a 8800GT and in windows dxdiag and system properties it says it's a 8800GT and all .. i just find the whole thing really confusing?

I bought this card brand new from a store down my street.

Also .. why does it say on the box that it's DDR3 and not GDDR3 .. ?? does this asus 8800GT suck in comparison to say evga or xfx or whatever?

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
hey thanks for the quick reply! one other thing I find strange is that in the NVIDIA monitor it says my GPU temperature is 0c.

Same thing in other programs like rivatuner .. Any idea why it's not reading the temperature? (it used to just fine on my old 6600 GT)

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
DDR3 is the same as GDDR3, not in the ram sense, but if it shows DDR3 in relation to a GFX that its just basically stating that its GDDR3 no worries.

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
:/ i should return it?

also .. i thought it was weird how the pci-e 6 pin connector on my power supply couldn't fit into the gpu.. one of the square plug things was square and on the card and angled bottoms.. so it wouldn't fit but the card came with one of those molex to 6pin pci-e things so I had to use that instead of the one of my power supply ... antec sonata II 450 watt. it was weird.. any opinion on that?

Smoked Turkey

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
As long as it shows up in Device Manager as an 880GT I would keep it. The cooling on that one looks better than the 8800GT I have. As far as temp goes you can try the nTune software fron Nvidia and also look at Riva Tuner. Both are free and should help you out.

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Well i even installed ASUS smart doctor to view the temperature .. and still nothing. so it looks like rivatuner ntune and the asus one gives zero temp readings.. I emailed Asus about this. So we'll see.

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Ok that isn't the "redesigned" stock cooler, that's Asus's cooler. Since the cooler is different, and I think the PCB is different, there's a good chance Asus didn't include a temp sensor for some stupid reason. I would contact Asus tech support to get to the bottom of it.

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I have 512 megs of ram on this card. and yes my card looks just like it.

So i e-mailed Asus about this asking this question and this is what i got back? I'm not sure if they even read my question...? ( i did not email the RMA department.. i emailed support on their website)
thank you for your support of our products!

If your ASUS product needs to be repaired or exchanged, first try to exchange the item with your vendor. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance. There are three ways to contact them:

1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:

http://helpdesk.asus.com

Click on the ASUS RMA Online link, and re! quest an RMA

2) Send an e-mail to:

RMA@asus.com

Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.

3) If you are in the USA or Canada, call our RMA department at 510-739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance in this matter please contact our RMA department.

trooper1947

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Does the store have the exact same card in stock ? If so I'd exchange it . Too many problems including the plug issue . If they don't notify the store manager about it and tell him you want it exchanged as soon as they get one . That card should be showing the temp ! And that plug should not be screwy .... sounds like you got one of a bad batch !

DScott79

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
* All specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check with your supplier for exact offers. Products may not be available in all markets.
* PCB color and bundled software versions are subject to change without notice.
* Brand and product names mentioned are trademarks of their respective companies.

4WD

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi doublehats, I have spoken two times to the Asus Support in Germany. At the first call they told me to use nTune or Everest at the second call they told me that they have no experience with that card because the have no one there :(
Do you give the card back?

Mayor McCheese

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Followed this over here from the Asus forum. Mine works fine. I had no trouble with the PCIE connector, but I get no temp readings either. It just says 0.0C in any monitoring programs I tried. I replaced the cooler with an Accellero S1 and used some extra Zalman heatsinks I had for the mosfets.

I couldn't help but notice that this card was pulled from Newegg a day or two after I bought mine. The card would also not accept the bios update flash.

zinaps

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hi,

I don't know about that but if the card uses the temp to change the fan speed, i could be an issue that the temp is always 0°c.

Bye

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I am really torn. I like the heatsink .. but I don't like how I can't read the temp.. I feel like exchanging this for a bfg or xfx.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I'm very happy to get the new glacier fan but what I'd like to know is how Asus expect the fan to regulate itself if there is no temp sensor on board? Or maybe the fan is set to 100%? Can you guys set your fan speeds or is it greyed out? It would be a tragedy if the fan speed were something like 29% and you couldn't increase it then your card would burn out very quickly. I haven't got a compatible m/b yet so I can't test mine.

TRENDING THREADS