Asus Entering Chromebook Market in Q4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
I never understood why Google keeps dragging Chrome OS along. I mean, I guess once something has momentum you can't easily pull-out of it. But really they need a plan to merge Android and Chrome OS (keep the Chrome browser) into one - probably Android - operating system.

Even prior to Android 5 there was a strong case of Android laptops. Look at any tablet with a keyboard, especially something like the hugely successful Transformer series. They're basically Android netbooks!

Schwermzilla

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I think as Chrome OS and Android get closer and closer we will eventually see dual booting devices, Owners could choose between an instant on, fast, lightweight web browser. Or boot into their home screens on android in less than a minute.

brian_st

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
"Chrome OS via Internet-heavy HTML5-based "packaged" apps and Android via locally-installed apps."

Chrome Packaged Apps are also locally-installed. Indeed a primary tenant of Chrome Packaged Apps is that they be able to work offline. Another important feature is that when you exit a Chrome Packaged App on one device and open it on another, you will be working right where you left off. I'm not sure what "Internet heavy" means, we are after all in a world where stodgy Microsoft Office is "cloud" enabled.

The big difference between the Chrome and Android approaches is that Android apps are written in Java and C and work only on Android. Chrome is very cross-platform and uses Javascript and C. The cross-platform nature of Chrome Package Apps means there is a more limited selection of underlying platform facilities available. Chrome Packaged Apps will run under Android later this year. Apps that do device specific settings or implement lock-screen widgets or do other such platform specific things have to be written for Android natively. Google also seems to be recommending that heavy duty games be written for Android natively.

brian_st

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS