Asus' External GPU Dock, XG Station 2, Detailed And Specified

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoHogan

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Asus has definitely pushed this release back a few times, from q3 to q4, and now q1 of 2017 . In my opinion for a good reason, they moved away from the proprietary connector to the universal thunderbolt 3, and also a perfect time when the new GTX 1080ti comes out too.

TThorlord

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
I would love one of these things to work on any connected PC. Would be awesome to connect it to my i7 Surface for an immediate gaming mode when i Dock it.

Jasonelmore,
The USB and network connections don't impact performance. You only need a SINGLE USB-c cable for gameplay, so it's overkill. The second is there for POWER to allow playing and charging at the same time.

Tests show at worst 5% loss compared to PCIe direct and that's due to converting the signal, not due to USB or network losses.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
This is really exciting. I did not see anything about the clearance allowed length-wise. Newer GPUs are getting longer. Imagine taking one of these, a GTX1080, and an external battery pack and a high-powered tablet to create your own VR backpack.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
What's next, external cpu? External ram?

While this could be useful, anyone who realllyyyyy needs it probably shouldn't be using a laptop for the task. Gpu heavy games are usually pretty cpu heavy.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
one of those obscure products that wont make it ! trust me, it's either Desktops or Laptop, you try to have an accessory that sits between regular medium desktop and small laptop people will just not get it and will prob just say " why don't I just get a mini desktop for gaming" !

sam2817

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
I would like to know if this will work with my ASUS ROG G750JZ-DB73-CA 17.3 Inch Notebook which has a ThunderBolt2? Will it work with just a TB3-TB2 adapter?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I don't know for certain, but my guess would be no. Between the bandwidth and the physical port, I can't see how it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.