Build Advice Asus extreme V motherboard

May 17, 2019
hello friends.

This is my first post i thanks admin for providing such a useful forum . i am building a PC system . i am beginner trying to learn and use this system for financial market like running amibroker , deep learning like cuda ,python .i have got

Ge force gt x 980 card for graphics. i dont have much knowledge about a system build. i have a doubt that what processor should i go with using motherboard asus Rampage V extreme .i have two processor in mind supported by this motherboard .

Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 vs Core i7 5820K . should i go for Intel or xeon. i want to use amibroker for Financial market and cuda python for deep learning which processor will be best .

1) is using Intel Xenon E5-2630 v3 . i can use Xeon phi Coprocessor Sc3120a will by asus extreme V support .

2) is Xeon phi Coprocessor Sc3120a worth buying for deep learning ,artificial intelligence in future ? .

i have read various post and i got confused , so can you please help . is xeon phi worth buying then i will go for xeon E5 processor .?

can suggestion is welcomed please do help .. suggest me a Pc build for financial market and deep learning.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Fairly old components you have there.

GTX980 launched in Sept of 2015, outperformed by the GTX1060 and up for most situations, and there are now the GTX1660 and RTX2060 and up that do the same.

You can plug any PCIe card into a compatible slot, so yes, that motherboard will support a Xeon Phi. Developing for it is another matter entirely. I don't think you will find many Xeon Phi deep learning experts here. That particular model is quite old as well having come out in 2013. Those processors have since been integrated into LGA3647 based CPUs, not sure if they still do the discrete cards. (Intel is getting back into that starting now though, and should have their own graphics cards out in 2021 or so)

As for the two CPUs, Hex core with unlocked multipler vs locked 8-core. I would probably lean towards the i7-5820k since you could get those cores to a reasonable 4Ghz+ with decent cooling. But again, quite dated from 2014. There are off the shelf hex cores like the i7-8700k that would be equivalent and faster, or 7800X series chips from more recent Intel high end desktop family.

If you are buying any of this stuff new, it is a waste. If you are scrounging for used components, it would depend on the price. Though used rampage boards are often highly overpriced.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Here is a quick build, though you should stick around for more opinions.

AMD 8 core processor, 16 threads, with roughly the same performance as the Xeon you were looking at.

RTX2060 6GB, 3 generations newer than the GTX980, more and faster memory, and with Ray Tracing and Tensor cores that can be utilized for deep learning/CUDA programming, I think.

16GB of memory, not sure what your plans there were. You can always go for a 32GB kit or even 64GB kit. If you need even more than that, look at AMD's TR4 socket and Threadripper CPUs, up to 16 cores and with quad channel memory. (32 cores if you go for the Epyc server processors)

Or you could blow it all on an Intel X299 build with 18 fast cores, or 28 server cores. This would be multiple thousands for the CPU alone.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $991.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-24 16:59 EDT-0400

May 17, 2019
Fairly old components you have there.

GTX980 launched in Sept of 2015, outperformed by the GTX1060 and up for most situations, and there are now the GTX1660 and RTX2060 and up that do the same.

You can plug any PCIe card into a compatible slot, so yes, that motherboard will support a Xeon Phi. Developing for it is another matter entirely. I don't think you will find many Xeon Phi deep learning experts here. That particular model is quite old as well having come out in 2013. Those processors have since been integrated into LGA3647 based CPUs, not sure if they still do the discrete cards. (Intel is getting back into that starting now though, and should have their own graphics cards out in 2021 or so)

As for the two CPUs, Hex core with unlocked multipler vs locked 8-core. I would probably lean towards the i7-5820k since you could get those cores to a reasonable 4Ghz+ with decent cooling. But again, quite dated from 2014. There are off the shelf hex cores like the i7-8700k that would be equivalent and faster, or 7800X series chips from more recent Intel high end desktop family.

If you are buying any of this stuff new, it is a waste. If you are scrounging for used components, it would depend on the price. Though used rampage boards are often highly overpriced.
thanks you bro for the help ,, i will wait and get fund and go for x299 chipset board ,it would be useful for me in future to upgrade my pc..i would wait and make a decent pc with good overlocking, i was getting asus rampage board for $174 and xenon process 8 core for $120 so.it old generation it best to wait and go for latest as you said,, once again thank you so much for help