Question ASUS FA506II internal monitor doesn't work at 144Hz, but works at 60Hz... Need to force 60Hz in registry for workaround...

Jul 23, 2021
I have an ASUS TUF FA506II that has developed an issue with the monitor when it is set to, or automatically sets itself to 144Hz. The issue has grown worse over the last couple of months and occurred after an AMD or NVIDIA driver release.
The screen has funny lines across the screen and black below the lines and some of the screen above. It also is slow to display cursor movements, like it is updating very slowly (once every couple of seconds).

When I have multiple screens, I am able to select 60Hz as the internal monitor refresh rate and the internal display works perfectly. Change it to 144Hz and the issue resumes. Allow it to revert to 60Hz and back to normal. I used to have the internal screen set to 60Hz when I unplugged my external monitors. However, after the latest AMD and NVIDIA updates, the default internal monitor frequency is apparently set to 144Hz as the issue is now present from the BIOS through to the boot screens and the OS in normal use. I think there may have been an NVIDIA BIOS update recently too.

I want to be able to move my laptop around and use it, therefore I need to find the registry settings for screen frequencies across all monitor display setups. (I have recently deleted all saved monitor setups from the registry in a hope to force the basic 60Hz setting. but this didn't trigger a setting reset). Could someone tell me the location of the AMD and NVIDIA registry display frequency settings .

Secondly, other than doing a complete OS rebuild with the confirmed working ASUS driver set, is there a way to roll-back the AMD, NVIDIA and MB BIOSes to manufacture date (last year), and bring the laptop back to its original function at 144Hz?

Sorry for the detail, have been plugging at this for some time and Google and forums don't seem to have this particular issue listed.

Jul 23, 2021
Tried again with no other monitors from boot and there appears to be paging issues. The screen is flickering, and it still has the login prompt on some flickers with the solid background colour on others... weird. Definitely a software issue...