Asus' First AMD-Based ROG Motherboard Is Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
BS this is the first AMD based ROG motherboard! Asus has many ROG motherboards that you can use for AMD chips and chipsets. I personally have built with them. THis may be the first ROG board for the FM2+ socket but not for AMD.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I suppose it's something, but like they said at the end, it appeals to a rather small group even in e enthusiast sector. I don't think a lot of enthusiasts are gonna want an drop down from an AM3+ board just to say that have an ROG board. And I don't know that there are really any appreciable changes changes to the chipset to entice current systems to want to switch out for a new board.

Lookin' good, but might need more cowbell to kick those Steamroller cores to 5 GHz or so with some high-speed RAMs. If the Carrizo APU does DDR3/DDR4 it could get interesting next Winter.

Thanks, Asus. Look forward to that mATX FM2+ little brother ... Mean GENE

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
It would be nice if they had a CPU made for the socket that would warrant such a fancy board.

The 9590 is a power-hungry monster. It has been known to destroy mobos with cheap components.

Now, if you were limiting it to FM series sockets, then yes, this might be overkill.

As others have said, I just don't get this. It's not just a small market, this is a tiny niche. Who would drop an $80 Athlon into a board that's twice as expensive? And I can't think of an enthusiast that's worried enough about CPU OCing performance to get this board, but doesn't care about GPU because they're settling for an APU.

I'm not saying there isn't a good reason to get this board, just that I can't come up with one right now.

G

There are AM2 AM2+ AM3 and AM3+ ROG motherboards, I think the editor missed something when approving this title.

Editor? WTHAYTA, Willis?

lp231

Splendid
Asus ROG Prototype was the Pluto, but their very first production ROG board was the Crosshair and that is a AMD board.
Come to think of it, that board actually a useful feature compare to today's ROG board. It has led lights for SATA, Fan and internal fan headers as well as led I/O labels, so you can see where your plugging into.

cd000

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I can think of a good reason for this motherboard - high speed ram. We know that AMD's APUs love fast ram. What are we up to now, 3200mhz or so? Not going to do that on a el cheapo board.

lp231

Splendid
A less known Asus AMD ROG board
8xro5v.jpg

cmi86

Distinguished
Looks nice 8x8x pci-e is kind of disappointing on a $160 gaming oriented motherboard... I mean heck the $95 mainstream M5A99-FX Pro 2.0 I use in my rig supports full 16x16x support.

james pinnix

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Very interesting. ...makes me wonder if AMD is going to pull out some awesome cpu later

I can see it now....

AMD:: so guys sorry bout the a10's and stuff so ...POW!!! 6 core cpu with 10 tons of he'll yeah with the scent of BACON!

Status
Not open for further replies.