[SOLVED] ASUS G14 -- fan runs full blast post repair

Nov 20, 2020
Greetings TH folk,

I have a ASUS G14 which I purchased to do some streaming /podcast recording and editing back in August. It was a great, fast, pretty quiet machine for about 2.5 months. Then in the beginning of November it went dead and would not boot (no lights or response when pushing power button). ASUS had me drop the laptop off to Best Buy for repair and they tell me they replaced the mother board.

I now have the repaired unit after picking it up this past Tuesday. Initially all seemed well. But now, intermittently when doing some simple web browsing, zoom call or MS Word work, the fans tend to come on FULL BLAST and the unit sounds like a lawn mower in the middle of a down pour. The fans tend to stay on and at that loud fast speed until I turn off the machine too. Now, I understand the need for cooling, but this seems crazy and such a radical change from pre-repair. Of course this impacts functionality: I cannot get a quiet sounding video and record with this laptop in the same room with the fans on full blast because it is so loud and the fan noise gets picked up on the recording. Also, just during a zoom call once these kick in it is really so loud and distracting.

I tried a few things,... I removed Armory Crate and downgraded the bios to version 216.

Anyone have any ideas, I am so frustrated because I went from having a laptop I love to having a laptop I am unsure I can use it for what I originally purchased it for.

Thanks so much!

Solution
Greetings TH folk,

I have a ASUS G14 which I purchased to do some streaming /podcast recording and editing back in August. It was a great, fast, pretty quiet machine for about 2.5 months. Then in the beginning of November it went dead and would not boot (no lights or response when pushing power button). ASUS had me drop the laptop off to Best Buy for repair and they tell me they replaced the mother board.

I now have the repaired unit after picking it up this past Tuesday. Initially all seemed well. But now, intermittently when doing some simple web browsing, zoom call or MS Word work, the fans tend to come on FULL BLAST and the unit sounds like a lawn mower in the middle of a down pour. The fans tend to stay on and at that...
Nov 20, 2020
Greetings TH folk,

I now have the repaired unit after picking it up this past Tuesday. Initially all seemed well. But now, intermittently when doing some simple web browsing, zoom call or MS Word work, the fans tend to come on FULL BLAST and the unit sounds like a lawn mower in the middle of a down pour. The fans tend to stay on and at that loud fast speed until I turn off the machine too. Now, I understand the need for cooling, but this seems crazy and such a radical change from pre-repair. Of course this impacts functionality: I cannot get a quiet sounding video and record with this laptop in the same room with the fans on full blast because it is so loud and the fan noise gets picked up on the recording. Also, just during a zoom call once these kick in it is really so loud and distracting.

I tried a few things,... I removed Armory Crate and downgraded the bios to version 216.

Anyone have any ideas, I am so frustrated because I went from having a laptop I love to having a laptop I am unsure I can use it for what I originally purchased it for.

Thanks so much!
I think this seems like a thermal issue rather then the software. Maybe you should check the ventilation holes and make sure they arent clogged with dust etc. Another possibilityis that the lack of thermal paste. I am not sure about this one but applying low quality thermal paste or not aplying the thermal paste correctly may cause this types of overheating issues.
Looking foward to hear from you

Best Regards

Solution