Status
Not open for further replies.

jason87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2012
So I purchased an Asus G14 from Best Buy (GA401IV model) and been having a chronic problem with the fans randomly ramping up to full RPM. There seems to be something overriding both the windows power mode and the Amoury Crate software. The temperatures are well below threshold with no intensive tasks with the CPU at around 35 degrees C and the discrete nvidia 2060 GPU either off or way below boost at 45 degrees C.

Specs:
Ryzen 9 4900HS
16gb of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q
1TB NVME SSD

Things I've tried so far:
-Updated windows to latest version of windows home 1909 (build 18363.1256)
-Did a fresh install of amoury crate software
-Uninstalled all ASUS software amoury crate, game first VI and MyAsus using CC cleaner.
-Uninstalled windows and reinstalled from backup ISO and tried adding one of the programs from above one at a time with no luck.
-Uninstalled and installed a clean version of nvidia drivers
-Updated bios to latest version and also to a previous version of the bios to no effect.
-Took back plate off to see if the power cables to the fans were seated correctly and cables weren't in any weird spot or laying on something that might look out of place. (didnt go further taking apart the cooling unit as I dont want to break anything.

Things I noticed:
-Sometimes when the laptop is idle and I plug in a dongle in to the left usb-c port fans will ramp up.
-If I open a game (was trying with world of warships) the game will run for a minute before the fans start to ramp up to full speed.
-Turning off the computer will sometimes fix the problem but fans will ramp up at random both on battery and plugged in to the AC.
-Fans will decrease in speed from 8400rpm to around 7300rpm on battery vs connected.

As far as I can tell I think it has something to do with how the laptop either turning on the GPU or pushing the GPU harder. I am starting to thing it might be a hardware problem but it seems unlikely that both fans would be defective. Also since the temperature readings in both windows and the ASUS software show more or less accurate temperatures (case feels cool) I don't think its a temp sensor gone rogue.

Lastly all Asus told me was update the bios and take it to Best Buy for them to fix. I'm abroad right now so cant take it there. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

JC

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021
Hi, JC.

I just want you to know that you are not the only one. I felt like I was going crazy because I was not able to find anyone else that has been having this issue but, exactly as you described I have the same issue with my G14. I am beyond annoyed with it at this point. I took it to Best Buy and they had to send it out for a month to their facility in KY. The laptop came back saying that they replaced the CPU fan and tests were sat but, I got it home turned it on the the fan went full blast again.

Spoke to both ASUS and Best Buy and their only resolution is that I send it to ASUS now for repairs. I am so disappointed because I use this for schoolwork and I love the portability but, the fans are intolerable.

jason87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2012
Hi Drakin,

Yeah I fear something similar will happen when I take it to best buy this week. I was thinking it might be the fans but it wouldn't make sense that its both fans. Also in my case when the fans ramp up the performance tanks so makes no sense. Does yours do the same thing? Ill give Asus a call before I send my in to repair and see if I can get someone in their engineering department to take interest in this. Let me know if there are any solutions on your end.

Cheers,

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.