Asus G15 vs Lenovo Y540

May 29, 2020
Hi everyone, im looking for these two laptop, which one should i pick? i know they are cheaper one but they are out of stock mostly.

1. Lenovo Legion Y540 15.6" FHD IPS 144hz i7-9750H, 16GB, 1.5TB HDD+SSD RTX 2060 $1270
  2. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15: Ryzen 7 4800HS, 1TB SSD, 16GB, RTX 2060, 15.6" 240Hz FHD $1499
$232 price difference

or maybe a MSI laptop?

i will be playing gta v, xplane 11, fortnite, star wars, photoshop illustrator tasks (not heavy)

thank you

May 29, 2020
well im not a designer just to edit some images , create some banners (basic) and im not a heavy gamer, just want to play those games a few hours per day, this will be my first laptop for gaming. I know desktop are better but i want something mobile

Read reviews of each.
In particular, look at the displays.
Some will be brighter than others.
If you can, assess the cooling capability and the processor cooling requirement.
A common failing of gaming laptops is insufficient cooling for a hot processor and graphics card.

I know the Lenovo can be user configured.
It is often cheaper to buy one with a minimal HDD and replace it with your own ssd of the size you need.
Same with ram.

Reactions: agaitan026
Jun 5, 2020
G15 have better sRGB 97%-100% according to this site when the lenovo have arround 72% according to this site. This might not be an issue for you but if you need color accuracy that is something to look for. Also the G15 have a better CPU it is much more powerful than the Y540 however this might not be important if you don't do cpu intensive task. Also the y540 seems to have better thermals the g15 runs hotter that might not be a great issue but if you plan on keeping the laptop for a long period of time I would consider the cooler one. In my experience laptop runs hotter after a couple of year because of the dust, fan wear and thermal paste loosing efficiency. in that matter the lenovo have a better margin in thermals when the g15 will need maintenance (I think) may be replacing thermal paste after a couple of years. Finally the G15 have slightly better battery life 7 hours vs 6 for the Y540. It's up to you to decide if the trades off are worth the difference in price.

May 29, 2020
G15 have better sRGB 97%-100% according to this site when the lenovo have arround 72% according to this site. This might not be an issue for you but if you need color accuracy that is something to look for. Also the G15 have a better CPU it is much more powerful than the Y540 however this might not be important if you don't do cpu intensive task. Also the y540 seems to have better thermals the g15 runs hotter. Finally the G15 have slightly better battery life 7 hours vs 6 for the Y540. It's up to you to decide if the trades off are worth the difference in price.

oh i read in other sites that AMD are cooler, etc better than intel

Jun 5, 2020
oh i read in other sites that AMD are cooler, etc better than intel
well it depend on the laptop desing I think the g14 run cooler because of it's design but the g15 cpu run over 90 celcius during gaming which is not an issue but it is way hotter than the y540. There is something that can be made to improve this by 5 degrees it is explained in this video at the end I think (that is also a great review). An other thing that I forgot to mention is that you can upgrade the Y540 ram's but the G15 is limited at 1 stick. 16GB is enough for you usage however that might not be the case in few years. You can upgrade one stick on the G15 but you will run in single channel which can make you lose a few fps in game. I asked the question to the communuty in an other thread.

That Ryzen cpu will be way better than that particular Core i7 in all productivity tasks (and when I say way better, I mean WAY BETTER), and it will be equal if not better in all games too (long as they have similar GPUs).

But as geofelt wrote it will all depend on the use youre going to make of the laptop. If photoshop won't be be a great deal of time, but is still important and you would still like and need color accuracy then you have to go read and see some reviews.

As of thermals, the Ryzen 4xxx wins every day (atleast at this point in time), and that does not mean it has the better higher end cooler inside the chasis, instead it means it doesn't need one to reach its full potential, while keeping cool (thanks to its smaller fabrication node).
Thats why the intel laptop have a height of 2.5cm, while the Ryzen only 1.9cm, it simple needs more room to pack a beefier cooler. Not to menation the Ryzen 7 4800H have extra 2 cores/4 threads.

At the end of the day the bad thing about gaming laptops is that eventually they get old pretty quick, and only thing left to do when that day comes is get a new one.

Heres one review, there are lots out there, alexdev88 included some too:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tucT7hHavJM

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS