Question ASUS G20 Stuttering/Crackling/High DPC

AjBrodsky

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
I have an ASUS ROG G20AJ with an i7-4790, GTX 960, and 16GB RAM. It’s been an okay prebuilt, but have always had a few sporadic issues since I bought it, mainly having watchdog BSODs.

After updating Windows 10 from 1809 to 1903, I have been getting frequent audio crackling with the whole system stuttering at 1-2 FPS. Checking the Task Manager, the CPU and GPU usage are at 100%, whereas they should be much lower whether on the desktop or gaming. I have ran a DPC Monitor for 15 mins, which doesn’t point to anything except for one spike just over the threshold. I have also scanned the minidump file, which shows the BSOD due to ntoskrnl. In Event Viewer, it shows a Kernel Power Error when I had a BSOD, as well as another due to a Video Scheduler Internal Error. I’m unable to recreate the issue myself, as it is sporadic, and can happen when I am just on the desktop, web browsing, or in game. Kind of at a loss on what I should do, as the 10 day roll-back period has passed. Do I have to reinstall Windows, or is there an underlying issue. Read some forums stating the PSU could be the issue, but I used a multimeter on it when it began stuttering, and couldn’t find anything strange, both in voltage or current.

Also, if it helps, I have tried:
Reinstalling drivers for ASUS, Realtek, Nvidia, Intel, and Razer. Also tried updating the BIOS to no avail. I also have a GTX 1070 coming in today, if it could potentially be the GPU dying.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!! :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY