Asus G20AJ - Installing SSD (power requirement)?

toshibitsu

Distinguished
I have the base model that just came with a standard 1TB HDD. There is room(and connectors) for a 2.5" SSD. I decided to install an SSD & now when I try to turn it on, it powers up... but does not post. This desktop requires a 230w power adapter for standard operation & a second 180w power adapter(if you plan to put in a beefy video card). I only have the 230w power adapter. Is that the reason why it's not wanting to post now?
I opened it up again and disconnected the 2.5 SSD & it boots up normally. Just trying to figure out if that is in fact the issue or if there's a problem with the SSD connection(the SSD itself is good, tested it on another system - also tried a different sata cable)

Solution
I think that it would be a very odd case that an SSD would put you over the top as far as power.

I suppose it IS possible....but SSDs draw very little so i would be looking at other things.

What if you disconnect the HDD and try it?
I think that it would be a very odd case that an SSD would put you over the top as far as power.

I suppose it IS possible....but SSDs draw very little so i would be looking at other things.

What if you disconnect the HDD and try it?

Solution

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Sorry I had forgotten about this post. I don't have that desktop anymore, but I ended up disconnecting the power & holding down the power button for 30 seconds. Afterwards the system came back on just fine with both the SSD and the HDD installed. I even had a GTX 1050 Ti in it. All running just on the 230w PSU and it worked just fine(even gaming).