Question Asus G20AJ Ram Stick Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2019
What's up guys, new to the forum, and usually new guys have the worst problems so my bad lol. But I have an Asus G20AJ, Intel i7 4790, Nvidia gtx960, 8gb ddr3 So-dimm Ram, 1tb HDD, 256gb SSD. Not sure about the other stuff. Probably mostly prebuilt. I am trying to upgrade the ram. It has a single 8gb generic stick. I am trying to install ddr3 G skill 2x8gb Sodimm ram stick. They match 1600 and 1.5 respectively. They all work in slot B1. No matter what I do, If I put any of the three sticks in A1, it does one of two things, it either runs a continous loop of shutting on and off, or if I pull the power and try it again, the fans run continuously, either way I dont get the computer to boot or get a signal to my monitor. I also have a nvidia rtx 2060 starting me at the face until I get a 8pin connector adapter seeing as mine only has a 6 pin. Do I have a bad motherboard? Or am I missing something? I'm lost I'm not a computer guy but I'll be pissed if i wasted all this money trying to beef this pc up cause making a new build is probably not in my paying bracket. Thanks to any and all who help. It's much appreciatwd.

Reactions: jtrox02

DavidM012

Distinguished
The short answer bespoke/proprietary pc's stink for compatibility. The hate campaign against them should have been more vigorous.

Send back the dimms you bought.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81992-What-RAM-did-you-use-for-your-G20AJ-upgrade

They also had a chat about what sodimms they used on rog. forums, search the part number. The ones they used are out of stock far as I can see.

There is one crucial ballistix 16gb kit on amazon for $169 dollars. used. Looks premium pricey for being a sodimm that is compatible with only a few systems like that. If you pair dimms you must buy a kit not random sticks that might also be incompatible with each other.

Not worth it imho $169 is much of the way towards a new build anyway.

You can't buy random dimms and hope they might work.

I can't tell you exactly what dimms to buy. You should always check to see what memory is compatible with your board. Totally 'sup to you.

The manual sheds no light on this it looks like Asus intended their customers to contact their support in the event of attempted memory upgrade. Because it says contact their customer service desk.

The real solution is to never touch bespoke/proprietary pc's with a barge pole, build your own and avoid all that nonsense. They are the worst for compatibility, they have a narrow range of dimms available that go out of stock in a short span of time and instructions are not always exactly crystal clear. They are aimed at customers who are generally zero percent interested in knowing anything technical about the pc instead providing instructions on correct posture when using pc to avoid repetitive strain injury.

You could use it as a foot rest when you upgrade. To get a definitive answer on memory compatibility you might simply have to ask Asus directly.

You didn't say what the part number of the memory you bought is. Send it back get your money back start saving for new build. Wait 'til the release of the next ryzen cpu this summer as the markets will move in the cheaper direction hopefully you'll get more value for money anyway.

New build also has questions to answer about compatibility but should be a bit more navigable than disgusting proprietary PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.