Question ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB DUAL OC EVO

Jul 8, 2022
PC Specs
R5 2600
16GB RAM
GTX 1660 SUPER Dual

Issue is that the card itself is running hot 89C while gaming or doing a benchmark while i have another card GTX MSI 1650 GAMING X always at 60C gaming or doing benchmark
and my clock speeds are going down up like a roller coaster ride i changed the paste and thermalpads on it still running hot i used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Aquatuning Thermal pad while its idle 53C but asoon i boot a game or benchmark 89C kicks in
mhz going up and down is it the heat sink itself? also here the specs for gtx 1660 super View: https://imgur.com/a/rfHWfJz
also i tried stock settings still 89*C tried lowering power limit
Ops dont mind the boost clocks on the image used a old picture

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? If you're on Windows 10, what version of the OS are you working with? Have you tried running DDU to remove your GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling said driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You might want to also verify that the thermal pads are of the same thickness as the one's that came from the factory. Too thick a thermal pad can impede proper contact of the cooler to the GPU chip.

Jul 8, 2022
PC Specs
R5 2600
16GB RAM
GTX 1660 SUPER Dual

Issue is that the card itself is running hot 89C while gaming or doing a benchmark while i have another card GTX MSI 1650 GAMING X always at 60C gaming or doing benchmark
and my clock speeds are going down up like a roller coaster ride i changed the paste and thermalpads on it still running hot i used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Aquatuning Thermal pad while its idle 53C but asoon i boot a game or benchmark 89C kicks in
mhz going up and down is it the heat sink itself? also here the specs for gtx 1660 super View: https://imgur.com/a/rfHWfJz
Ops dont mind the boost clocks on the image used a old picture
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? If you're on Windows 10, what version of the OS are you working with? Have you tried running DDU to remove your GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling said driver with the latest version in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You might want to also verify that the thermal pads are of the same thickness as the one's that came from the factory. Too thick a thermal pad can impede proper contact of the cooler to the GPU chip.

I have the latest Bios ver 7A38vPB Windows 10 Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044 i have done the DDU and here is my motherboard details also the psu is 5 years old included
also i had this heating problem before so thats the reason i changed the paste and thermal pads in case they have worn out or something i have bought the same that came with gpu 1,5 mm right now i have undervolted the gpu its sitting around 75*C while gaming ect but i was just wondering why cant i run at its default settings let me know if there is something else u need
View: https://imgur.com/a/DesqMiK

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Changing thermal pads should be a last resort with gpus. It is not enough to know the thickness of the original pads; they also have different degrees of hardness.
asoon i boot a game or benchmark 89C kicks in...

That you experience this is proof that the pads you used are too hard. Fortunately, you didn't go too far on hardness that you cracked the gpu PCB, like another user recently did.
Now you're stuck playing a potentially expensive guessing game with pads: too hard, and the gpu core thermals are poor. Too soft, and you get poor memory thermals. The latter might not be readable without external equipment.

I've read that the original pads tend to be on the softer side... and folks like to lean on that blasted Wm/k rating, but here, the higher that is, the harder they usually are.

Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut may be good on cpu IHS to cpu cooler cold plate applications, but less so on naked silicon die ones, where it is more prone to 'slipping off', or 'getting pushed off'. Thicker pastes are resilient against this.
Noctua NT-H2(not H1), Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatech PK-3, Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2 are more appropriate here.

... so that's 2 whammies you need to fix.
That psu probably is a 3rd one, but I've no clue beyond the short 3 year warranty and that the model has been out for several years; I can find stuff on the Nex G unit, but Nex B turns up much of nothing.

Jul 8, 2022
Changing thermal pads should be a last resort with gpus. It is not enough to know the thickness of the original pads; they also have different degrees of hardness.

That you experience this is proof that the pads you used are too hard. Fortunately, you didn't go too far on hardness that you cracked the gpu PCB, like another user recently did.
Now you're stuck playing a potentially expensive guessing game with pads: too hard, and the gpu core thermals are poor. Too soft, and you get poor memory thermals. The latter might not be readable without external equipment.

I've read that the original pads tend to be on the softer side... and folks like to lean on that blasted Wm/k rating, but here, the higher that is, the harder they usually are.

Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut may be good on cpu IHS to cpu cooler cold plate applications, but less so on naked silicon die ones, where it is more prone to 'slipping off', or 'getting pushed off'. Thicker pastes are resilient against this.
Noctua NT-H2(not H1), Gelid GC Extreme, Prolimatech PK-3, Kingpin KPx, and Cooler Master Mastergel Pro V2 are more appropriate here.

... so that's 2 whammies you need to fix.
That psu probably is a 3rd one, but I've no clue beyond the short 3 year warranty and that the model has been out for several years; I can find stuff on the Nex G unit, but Nex B turns up much of nothing.

Thanks for depth solutions but seems like I fixed it the card is running at 1830mhz at 75-77*C looks like its a sweet spot not sure in the first place why it was giving some issues :D

Jul 8, 2022
I see... and the gpu hot spot?

Abt couple hours ago 1830 keept getting 89C when ever i open a game or stress the gpu but little bit later i did DDU again removed gpu re-apply paste at 1830mhz it was going around 75-77C and as i write this its at 55C after undervolting and starting from 0 to 100 at 1875mhz stressing gpu and trying to play game its fine 1875mhz 55C like i dont know whats happening but im just gonna leave it as it is

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
89C hot spot is fine.
Leave the undervolt alone for now? I've noticed that some users are undervolting too much, leaving the core clock unstable.

You haven't said what these games or benchmarks are, which is leaving some useful info off the table. They all hit your hardware differently - some don't need much gpu muscle(gpu doesn't have to spend all the time boosted), and some really slam into the gpu's power limit, for example.