[SOLVED] ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti DUAL VS and ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER ROG Strix AD

kalern123

Reputable
Feb 2, 2017
Hi, so I recently bought ASUS RTX 2080Ti Dual, and I have a few questions I just can't find the answer to.

I looked at core clock speed and boost clock speed and they are both higher on the ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER ROG Strix AD? Why is that?

What does core clock and boost clock speed do exactly?

Basically, why are they lower on a cheaper card? Does that make the 2080 Ti worse for gaming or editing?

Solution
The Core clock speed is the basic speed of the GPU. This is what it will run at when under load. The boost clock speed is a speed which the GPU can run at under load if thermal and power use requirements are within certain parameters. So if the GPU is running cool enough and power draw is low it will boot the clock speed for better performance.

The 2070 Super for one a newer card so it has a bit better speeds but its also a smaller die and can be clocked higher. Its much like say a quad core vs an 8 core CPU. Most of the time the quad core will be clocked higher than an 8 core CPU since it uses less power. The 2080Ti has more CUDA cores than the 2070 Super.

In terms of performance the 2070 Super will be just under an equivalent 2080...
The Core clock speed is the basic speed of the GPU. This is what it will run at when under load. The boost clock speed is a speed which the GPU can run at under load if thermal and power use requirements are within certain parameters. So if the GPU is running cool enough and power draw is low it will boot the clock speed for better performance.

The 2070 Super for one a newer card so it has a bit better speeds but its also a smaller die and can be clocked higher. Its much like say a quad core vs an 8 core CPU. Most of the time the quad core will be clocked higher than an 8 core CPU since it uses less power. The 2080Ti has more CUDA cores than the 2070 Super.

In terms of performance the 2070 Super will be just under an equivalent 2080 (non Super) but well under a 2080Ti.

The other major difference is the cooler. The 2080Ti Dual is a lower end cooler than the one on the Strix. The Strix has a triple fan setup and a larger heatsink.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-2070-super-strix-oc/6.html

Thats the Asus ROG RTX 2070 Super Strix benchmark compared to a RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition, thats not as good as the Asus Dual. If you are looking at the 2080Ti you look at 1440p or higher resolutions and it still blows the 2070 Super away.

Reactions: kalern123
Solution
The RTX 2080Ti is currently the best consumer GPU available. While it is not the best model Asus has of that GPU, that would be the RTX 2080 Ti Matrix, it will still play pretty much every game maxed out at 1080p, 1440p and most at 4K resolutions pretty happily.