Review Asus GeForce RTX 3050 ROG Strix Review: High Clocks, High Price

logainofhades

Titan

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
Such a terrible card, for the money, at the $609 price listed in the article. You can get an RTX 3060, at that price, and a 6600xt for less. You can get a much faster 6700xt for $599, even.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Challenger D Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $599.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-17 08:17 EDT-0400
Is it just the price or the performance is terrible too?

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Anyone who buys this for any more than half* the listed price needs their head seeing too.

Just tacking the word 'Strix' on the end of something doesn't make that something worth the inflated price. Just like some other companies ...

*edit

Last edited:
Reactions: Kridian
Such a terrible card, for the money, at the $609 price listed in the article. You can get an RTX 3060, at that price, and a 6600xt for less. You can get a much faster 6700xt for $599, even.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Challenger D Video Card ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $599.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-17 08:17 EDT-0400
Almost like you read the conclusion! :p

Reactions: larkspur

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
cant believe if someone paying more just for 1-6 fps more which is barely differences.
probably just people that dont have any option and its the only one available

cant believe if someone paying more just for 1-6 fps more which is barely differences.
probably just people that dont have any option and its the only one available
Don't underestimate the Asus branding and aesthetic appeal. I went to the RX 6600 XT launch at Micro Center. The very first card to sell out — with over 100 cards still on the shelf! — was the Asus ROG Strix model. Then the other Asus card, the Dual, sold out. The Strix card cost more than any other model, and the Dual was one of the more expensive options. People love the bling, the overkill cooling, and feel the brand name is just better than other companies.

Looking forward to the Intel cards.

Will Intel work with AIB partners or will they all be Intel Branded ?
Intel has said it's working with AIC partners, though we don't know which ones exactly are going to join the fun. Considering Asus offered a DG1 card, I think they're probably a "guaranteed" Arc manufacturer. If the performance is good, the other big names will likely follow — meaning Gigabyte and MSI at the very least. But the AMD-only partners (Sapphire, XFX) and Nvidia-only partners (EVGA, Zotac) are likely to remain exclusive to those companies.

I have long advised people I know looking at an entry level gaming PC since at least the GeForce 1xxx generation of cards that you will get a better value for your money with an AMD card over Nvidia from mid-tier on down. At the same time, when going upper tier to top of line, I continue to recommend Nvidia. There is no reason to buy Nividia at these tier of cards. None.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
In my opinion, Asus cards were never appealing if one is looking for value. Under normal circumstances, I’ve always noticed that the pricing of Strix models overlap the pricing of a better GPU from some other manufacturers. So in this case, the Strix RTX 3050 definitely costs as much or more than a RTX 3060 from other AIB. So if I am looking for the best value card to get, I will never consider getting the Strix. The branding will appeal to those that have deeper pockets and just want to buy the card just for name/ brand sake. People can argue that the build quality is very good, but the truth is, a card like the RTX 3060 or 3050 don’t need overbuilt board and cooling solution.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I have long advised people I know looking at an entry level gaming PC since at least the GeForce 1xxx generation of cards that you will get a better value for your money with an AMD card over Nvidia from mid-tier on down. At the same time, when going upper tier to top of line, I continue to recommend Nvidia. There is no reason to buy Nividia at these tier of cards. None.
If I look at this generation‘s GPUs, AMD‘s lineup is somewhat lacklustre, starting from their RX 6700 XT. This is a case of being too aggressive with cuts, so much so that the NAVI 22 lost 50% of the CUs, as compared to the NAVI 21. And if we move downwards to NAVI 23, the lost of CUs is actually quite a lot smaller (20% lost). Of course AMD had to cut NAVI 23 further to segment their GPU markets to avoid cannibalising the sale/ attractiveness of their RX 6700 XT. Coming to the RX 6600 series, the duo are decent cards, but not really as attractive because AMD basically just slot the pricing of these cards between Nvidia’s pricing gaps. For example, the RX 6600 XT is slot between the RTX 3060 and 3060 Ti (a lot closer to the 3060 Ti), but performance wise, it is faster than the RTX 3060 @ 1080p, but reviews have shown that the gap is less than 10%. Of course the pricing is a mess due to shortages and a hot demand for Nvidia’s cards. So it painted a better picture for AMD when it comes to value. However as prices starts to trend downwards, that advantage is slowly waning. For example, in my country, I can start to find RTX 3060 that is cheaper than the RX 6600 XT. So ultimately, it really depends on how much you want to pay or what is your minimal requirement. But generally, I would say that while AMD’s RDNA2 is a big step ahead for AMD, however pricing is the key for their success. Assuming the RX 6700 XT cost as much as a RTX 3070, chances is that people will buy the RTX 3070. And this is what I am seeing in my country, where we can see RX 6700 XT cost as much as a RTX 3070/ 3070 Ti, and the RX 6900 XT cost as much as a RTX 3080Ti.
And lastly, I won’t even bother with the RX 6500 XT. Again, this is the case of an ultimate gimp where the card offers too little, came too late, and don’t help budget gamers stuck on PCI-E 3.0 systems.

despite being the worst buy ever in this scenario, the 3050 is a card worth looking at for 1080P gamers in general. standard rasterization for 1080P when combined with dlss will be amazing for challenging titles, 8GB buffer so turn it all up. 60 fps locked in all games at 1080P is possible. And where dlss can't help you FSR might... Because AMD is cool like that.
Low power, available, still mateable with ivy bridge or newer systems for acceptable gaming you'd be a fool to spend more. If you need 300fps to gain the advantage over others..... git gud

Last edited:

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Why such a big card for the performance? Bit of a waste really.

(Over the last few years I've noticed something spreading... people being SO DAMN LAZY that they don't even place capital letters at the start of sentences. Why is this? We're devolving.)

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Why such a big card for the performance? Bit of a waste really.

(Over the last few years I've noticed something spreading... people being SO DAMN LAZY that they don't even place capital letters at the start of sentences. Why is this? We're devolving.)
This is done to make it look “sophisticated” and the impression that it is worth more. The reality is that the card can never outperform the next tier of GPU, which is the RTX 3060, but yet it cost as much. GPU makers make the most money with these top end/ flagship GPUs because the cost of the heatsink, bells and whistles, are actually very insignificant, relative to the price premium they command.